Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-28-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
jboyle
Remodeler

Cool complete bathroom remodel

I have a waterproofing question concerning a tub to be set in an alcove. From reading some of John's book and searching here I generally understand how to install a felt or poly vapor barrier behind CBU. My question is how to seal the poly or felt against the tub if it doesn't have a flange. The manufacturer offers a flange kit, but I would really like to set the tub in the next day or so. Can I do this without a flange kit?

I was hoping that I might be able to attach the poly directly to the tub with some sort of adhesive, but far enough back from the edge of the CBU so that the caulk would cover it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
jboyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-28-2005, 06:39 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Can you just run it long, go ahead and install cbu and tile, then come back and cut with a utility knife at the edge under the tile,then cbu and tile will hold it till you caulk it in.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi jboyle, welcome. How bout a first name?

If this tub has a shower head, I would want a tub lip. You can overlap the tub lip with the felt paper or poly. No need to glue it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
jboyle
Remodeler

My first name is Jason. Just used to being called by my last from being in the army.
Unread 07-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #5
jboyle
Remodeler

Dave,

I was just thinking of trying to seal it directly to the tub in case the caulk ever went bad the vapor barrier wouldn't be compromised. Is this an issue, or am I needlessly worrying?
Unread 07-28-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
Mad dog

Jason,

If you lose your caulk joint, the problem is going to be water getting behind that area, not water vapor. That is a lot more significant though. How come there is no flange? Was it purchased to be freestanding or have open ends? Anyway, I like Davestone's answer.
Mad dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 05:13 AM   #7
jboyle
Remodeler

Mad Dog,

When I originally purchased the tub I had no idea about flanges etc. If I had known I would have purchased the optional flange kit since this is a tub in an alcove. That being said, I am hoping I can set the tub today without a flange kit and seal the poly to the top of the tub behind the CBU, and then caulk the joint after tiling.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Unread 07-29-2005, 05:40 AM   #8
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Jason,

Your plan will work. You should run a bead of silicone around the top of the tub and let it dry. This will work like a flange and keep water from spilling into the wall. You can then use another bead of silicone to stick the poly vapor barrior to it if you want, but the important thing is the first bead to make a damm.

The tile bead kit is a waste of money, and I still have the first one I bought laying around somewhere.
Unread 07-29-2005, 06:46 AM   #9
Mad dog

jason,

MHI beat me to it. You could use some plastic, or even say roofing felt and silicone it to the tub to create a flange. Let that dry, then make a nice bead along the inside edge of it and let that dry before you add your tilebacker. That way if water gets behind your final caulk joint, it won't reach the wall cavity (as MHI said) and cause unseen damage before you realize the caulk has failed.

Dog
Mad dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2005, 07:24 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I agree with Dog. The standing water against the tile and caulk may eventually find it's way into the wall. That's why I would want a lip on the tub. The vapor wouldn't worry me near as much as this would.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
jboyle
Remodeler

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

I will be doing as you suggested and setting the tub today or tomorrow...depending on what else I get into. As the title of the thread says this is a complete remodel, hence the delay in setting the tub. This weekend was spent completely rewiring the upstairs, including the bath, and installing a new service panel.

I'll try and post some pictures of the bath at it's current stage through completion. Any suggestions along the way will be greatly appreciated.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase