Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-25-2021, 08:05 PM   #1
Pludot

Kitchen backsplash removal - damaged dry wall

Hi everyone,

I am a neophyte on tiling and need some help/guidance/suggestions. After adding a larger stove, we have moved lower cabinets, removed upper cabinets /microwave and are also removing beveled subway tile from our kitchen, which is a poor quality flip. The first few rows went smoothly, but we are finding that the drywall behind the middle and bottom rows is not well secured to the studs. There are already voids and chunks of drywall missing behind these tiles, which were set with a combination of thinset and bathroom caulk.

As we are close to the completion of the tile removal, we are not sure what the best course of action is next. We are undecided on tiling or just painting but are wondering if we should patch and repair the drywall or entirely replace large sections of drywall? The entire backsplash area (up to the soffit) is 36 sq ft., for context.

Any advice would be appreciated. Photos are attached.

P.S. I know the stove should have been installed last. My wife tells me frequently.
Attached Images

Pludot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Pludot.

No matter if you want to paint or to re-tile, you’ll need to clean up the wall nicely. A 4” wallpaper razor scraper (available at any hardware or box store) will slice/shave away the old mastic from the drywall. As for the parts that are caved in, it’s best to just cut those areas out and patch in a new piece of drywall. You can cut a piece(s) of plywood to fit into the back side of the drywall holes you make that will bridge the old and new drywall.

If you want to paint, you would use drywall tape & mud like any ither drywall repair.

If you want to tile, you can proceed after you apply alkaline-resistant mesh tape over all the joints.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2021, 06:53 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome, Pludot,

I dunno, there appears to be an awful lot going on there, an awful lot to repair.

To be honest, I don't believe you'll ever get that wall smooth enough to simply paint it unless you remove and replace it entirely. Even if you and Mrs. Pludot decide to re-tile it it's going to need to be pretty smooth. Indeed, I think you'll spend more time trying to repair it than you'll spend just replacing it.

Pull the new stove. If it isn't too difficult, pull the counter tops and cabinets. Off with the old. Install new receptacles and lighting where needed. On with the new.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
smifwal

Cut the drywall out and put up new, a multi tool works great for this. Way less work then skimming the pot holes you got there the tools on top not the leather man hahaha
Attached Images

Unread 04-26-2021, 09:44 PM   #5
Pludot

Thanks, everyone for the responses. We will just cut out the areas and replace them.

Two questions: (1) would it be okay to use backer board/cement board instead of drywall and (2) would I need firing strips if I can see the studs?

I have spackled and used patches before, but this is the first time I am making a large repair to drywall.
Unread 04-27-2021, 06:05 AM   #6
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
You can use backer board if you wanna, Pludot, but for a back splash it isn't really necessary. Install plain white drywall, finish the joints, give it a couple of coats of primer, then paint or tile it.

You can use shims if needed to get the face of the studs all in plane, which will result in a flatter wall.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase