Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
stevec1129

Fireplace Tile - Good idea?

It's been a long time since I've posted on here and when my boss (Wife) asked me if it was possible to do this update, I knew exactly who to ask.

I have a few cases of white 12x12 marble leftover and I need some advise on if this is a good idea and some thoughts on how this would look. I want to put the white marble tile on top of the old brick around the border of the black fireplace doors, and then cover the 6x6 tiles on/outside and then cover up my cuts behind the fireplace door frame itself. Is there a high heat caulking that should be applied around the frame to the marble?

If i cut up the 12x12 tiles and cover the 6x6's on the floor, what are some sizes/dimensions that would make this look OK for the floor? 6x6? 6x12 subway pattern? I have never worked with marble, only ceramic and porcelain, how does it cut down in size and is the chipping noticeable?

Would the red tile show through the marble and what thin set would be recommended?

Thank you for any and all help, it's very much appreciated.
Steve
Attached Images

Unread 02-22-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Steve. Usually we would remove the doors and frame and install them back over the marble. Looks like to me, if you install the marble with the doors in place, you would never be able to remove the doors in the future, you would be tiling them in. I would want the doors removed first but that's up to you.

You can cut the marble to any size you want or leave them 12x12's. The saw will leave a sharp edge but that can be sanded down smooth. Since marble is usually installed with tight joints, it's important to have a good blade and a saw that cuts straight and square.

I would rough up the tile surface and use a white modified thinset for bonding the marble. You can skim coat the tile surface with thinset first if you're afraid of the red showing thru the marble.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
stevec1129

Hi Davy- Thank you for the input. The was my plan with the doors, I'd use them to hide the cut side of the marble behind it so all you'd see is the factory edge along the outside.

If this was a customers house, and you had the same 12x12's on hand to work with- would you put them down 12x12 on the floor or would you cut them? If cut, what size?

I have access to one of those cheap HD saws but I'm thinking of going to the tool rental facility down to the road to see what they have to offer. I think it's about $70/day to rent a sliding table

Thanks again,
Steve
Unread 02-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

We've tiled a bunch of those over the years and I'd say 99% were with 12x12 marble. There's not really enough footage there to see a pattern unless you go with a mosaic.

For the area above the firebox, I would always prop a straight edge of some kind to hold that row up. Use a couple boards as legs to hold up the straight edge until those pieces set.

Also, you can sand any exposed edges with sand paper to polish them.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-23-2016, 12:30 PM   #5
stevec1129

Thank you very much, Davy. I'm going to keep looking at pictures throughout the week and then give it a go this weekend. I also need to figure out how how to trim out the bottom, any pointers there?
Unread 02-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Are you talking about trimming out against the hardwood? It looks like the hardwood is higher than the red tile. How much higher? Will the marble finish out even with it?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-24-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
stevec1129

Hi Davy
The tile is higher than the hardwood, looks like it's higher on the left than on the right too- maybe 1/8"?
Unread 02-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Is that what you were talking about when you said "trim out the bottom" ?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 02-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #9
stevec1129

Yes it is, I'll lay the tile down and get a measurement then go to the depot and see what I can come up with. Either that or just router a roundover of some sort and then rip it down on the table saw to the height i need.

I also just reviewed the gallery on your website, nice work!

Last edited by stevec1129; 02-25-2016 at 02:34 PM.
stevec1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Thanks, Steve.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 03-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #11
stevec1129

I managed to tile the surround yesterday. I opted to keep the pad in place on the bottom - it was a solid slab to work off of- fairly level, and I'm hoping it aids in adding a bit of support as the marble wouldn't hold up well due if my deflection calculations were right.

I'll take the supports off tonight, frame/trim out the bottom and grout- in 24/48 hours ill put the black doors back on.

For the trim piece, would you guys recommend going with pine stained to match the floor, or white to match the rest of the trim?

My plan of attack is to get the either gray or white Polyblend caulk that matches the grout and do the vertical edges using the caulking. Should i grout or caulk in between the wood trim/frame and the marble tiles on the floor? How about caulking to seal around the doors?

Would you recommend gray or white grout- I used 1/16" spacers?

Thank you!
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase