Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Shawn7426

Dry pack with hydronic heating?

Hello all. I am doing a job that will be getting hydronic heating under the tile floor. The last time I did this I put tar paper over the plywood subfloor, followed by lathe. The tubing was placed on top of that and then I dry packed thick enough to have about 3/4" above the tubing. I then did a crack suppression membrane on top of that.
However when I looked at my 2010 TCNA handbook I did not see this as an approved method. Instead it said that if hydronic heating is going over a wood subfloor one should screed to the top of the tubes, place a cleavage membrane over the tubes and then some type of dry pack or self leveler over that That seems like just asking for problems and it seems like you would need more than 3/4" of mortar to be stable and I have some height limitations.
Any suggestions on how you all have done it?
Unread 11-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Shawn.

The Mud Box, I'm afraid, is not for mud questions. Intuitive kinda like Windows where you gotta click on the Start button to turn the machine off, eh?

If your floor structure meets the necessary requirements you can use either of those methods (RH123 or RH141), but you've also gotta consider that you'll be adding another twenty or thirty pounds per square foot of dead load to the floor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
and it seems like you would need more than 3/4" of mortar to be stable
If you'll read RH141 again I believe you'll see that you actually require a minimum of 1 1/4" of reinforced mud atop your hydronic tubing. The use of the SLC at a minimum of 1/2" would be substantially thinner overall. Lighter, too. I've never been all that comfortable with the stuff, but the method as published has been tested to the service rating indicated.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase