Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #16
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

See how hard it dries. I would have used bagged premixed concrete for that patch and I usually use pure cement or thinset to bond to the existing slab. I would never use just sand and cement mixed up wet, too rich and wet for me. Ya need stone.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #17
efjellanger

Well... that is the difference between someone who knows what they're doing and someone who doesn't!

I've wet it down thoroughly and covered it up. How should I gauge it's hardness when it's done? Should it come out and I start over?
Unread 04-15-2010, 04:39 AM   #18
bbcamp

Eric, I think it might be OK, but maybe not. It's one of those comfort things. Folks like CX and Rick aren't comfortable with your mix or installation procedure. If those kinda folks aren't comfortable with it, I wouldn't be, either. So, I guess I'd tear it out before it gets any harder. Then, I could be comfortable. However, it's up to your level of comfort.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #19
efjellanger

It is a good thing my home had two bathrooms- or, it is a bad thing, because if I only had one I would have done the remodel by now. As it is I am just getting the ball rolling again.

The patch seems to have dried quite hard and there wasn't any cracking, maybe I got off lucky. I have also sheetrocked the walls, and built the curb with bricks and thinset. I think next I should Kerdi the walls and start tiling, which is hard to do without buying some Kerdi and tile...

I saw a video on youtube with a shower I really liked, it uses multiple colors of 6" tile for the walls, with a 1" decorative mosaic strip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ica6sew#t=127s

I went to a local shop I thought sold Kerdi, but I was wrong. They sell Wedi there, and I don't think I want to change my concept at this point.

The tile guy I talked to pointed out the tiles in the video are probably slate, which has higher maintenance requirements. He showed me a few different options including some porcelain tiles that looked similar to the ones in the video.

Two questions:

Does anybody have a shop to recommend in the Seattle area? I'm specifically northeast of the city but I am willing to drive a ways if necessary.

What advice do you have for making a shower that looks like the one in the video? I am not sure about how to get the variety of tile colors. It also seemed like 6" might not be so easy to come by, although I have only been to one shop.

Thanks as always!
Unread 11-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #20
efjellanger

Bumping in case anybody has advice, I'm going to try to go shopping tomorrow.
Unread 11-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #21
cheakamus

Master Wholesale on Front Street in Georgetown sells kerdi fabric by the foot, as well as most of the associated products. For tile, you might try Tile for Less in Kirkland and Sodo.
Unread 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #22
efjellanger

Thanks for the tip John, I went to Master Wholesale and bought the stuff for the next step. I liked the place.

They did not have versabond, they had their own "lightly modified" thinset. Should I believe it will work as well as versabond? It is this stuff.
Unread 11-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #23
efjellanger

I'm planning to put the Kerdi up on the walls tomorrow. I want the shower to have a niche and I haven't cut one out yet. I know the studs are in a good place, but I'd like to align the top and bottom of the niche with grout lines. I have not purchased tile yet.

Is there a problem with putting Kerdi over the flat wall, for now, and then laying out the tile and cutting out the niche to finish it with Kerdi later? This seems like it would work to me but I might be missing something.
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #24
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

That's a fine way to align a niche. You can start tiling the wall and cut the niche in after you get up the wall a ways, so you can get the niche exactly where you want.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #25
efjellanger

I took the big leap and put up the first piece of Kerdi today.

I worry I might have mixed the thinset too runny. I read you want it the consistency of cake batter, I have only made a couple of cakes but it seems like you can do it with a range of batter consistencies. As I mixed the thinset, it was pretty loose, and would hold trowel ridges but just barely. It was also kind of hard to work with, I think I need better technique...

How hard should I push on the Kerdi when smoothing it out? It seemed like I could keep squeezing thinset out from underneath for a long time. As it is, there are no bubbles or trowel ridges under the Kerdi anymore. But the surface isn't totally flat, there are some slightly wavy parts. How flat should it end up? Any tips?

I want to put up the rest tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Unread 11-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #26
bbcamp

Eric, the thinset should just be able to hold a ridge, so yours sounds OK. You should not attempt squeeze out the thinset. If you are using the right trowel, all you need to do is flatten the ridges. You can use drywall taping knives instead of a trowel for flattening the Kerdi. For larger areas, a cutting-in knife (24" long straight metal edge with handle, used when painting) will spread the load and keep some of the waves down a bit. It does take practice.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #27
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

It sounds like you're doing fine. A little waviness won't matter when it comes to laying tile. Full coverage is the issue. I also recommend a taping knife. I smoothed most of my kerdi with a nice springy 6" knife that I filed the corners off of (you don't want to be poking holes in the kerdi).

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #28
efjellanger

So... I did the upper half of the first wall, and, feeling confident, decided to go for a 8' section on the adjacent wall. But I mixed the thinset too dry and by the time I got to the bottom half I had ridges I could not push out.

My quick attempt to fix it was: Cut the bottom half of the Kerdi off, mix up some real runny thinset, smear that on the wall, and put the Kerdi back up. I wasn't sure it would work but thought it was worth a try.

Is this likely to come out okay or do I need to pull it down today, scrape it off, and try again?
Unread 11-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #29
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Did you scrape the dry stuff off the wall before you put up the second sheet? If so, good job and quick thinking. I could never manage more than a 5' length at one time.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #30
efjellanger

Nope, the new runny stuff went on top of the half-hour old stuff. This is what I'm worried about. Quick thinking isn't always good thinking.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase