Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
baum

Shower wall underlayment

So i wondering if any of you have used the Homelux GatorGold waterproofing membrane (similar to the kerdi)

Pro-cons?

Only reason im looking at that instead of kerdi is im doing a basement bath that the shower may get used like once a year (there are 3 others in the house) Menards sells this for about 60-70 a roll. im calling this a budget bathroom its only a 32" x 32" shower with a fiberglass base.

If so what do use for a thinset between the membrane and drywall? and then between the membrane and the tile. im looking on a 12x12 tile.

i know with kerdi you use an unmodified, but i really cant find any good lit. on this product.

Thanka
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
i know with kerdi you use an unmodified, but i really cant find any good lit. on this product.
Never heard of GatorGold so Googled and found their site. They mention you can use modified or not, but that's the extent of technical info. They also have a banner alluding to a new website for 2013...better make it quick!

Were it me, I'd save money elsewhere and use a proven product with known engineering and technical support where it matters most. You can easily change a light fixture or vanity, but not so much what's behind the tile.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase