Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #61
Ingeborg

It's been a while but I finally managed to fire the dragon. It was a wonderful morning to fire. In the 60's at 6 am overcast and not much wind., Perfect for a long day of tending the kiln.

I fired the previous tiles, I think I pictured on 10-18 or there abouts. - Dahl "high fire stoneware" and unglazed porcelain, both installed in my home by yours truly.

The tiles are laid on a blank slab of clay to protect my kiln shelf from anything sticking to it. As you will notice, the stoneware tile (long rectangular) has totally changed in appearance. The color is no longer gold, it is full of pin holes and there are two very large bloats. The tile is glued to the slab tray. The little green porcelain tile sticks a bit onto the tray but I;m able to move it. It has changed noticeably in color from a darker green to a light green. Otherwise it did not change.

So, the experiement is interesting. The stoneware tile would have become molten lava in a longer or more intense firing. The bloating and sticking to the tray is the start. It is clearly not a high fire stoneware regardless of what the Dahl rep stated. The procelain I honestly can't say as I'm not that familiar with how porcelain reacts to various firing schedules.

For the record, I fired to ^10 in a reduction atmosphere.

Most other items in the firing came out pretty good. There are always some failures and some real zingers and the majority being just fine. That's the way it goes.

The weather has been magnificent in SW Florida. Most of us are enormously pleased to have the stinking summer over with and the greater part of hurricane threats over with as well..

Hope all is well with you. Here things could be busier. November is painfully slow at my shop. I am, as always, optomistic....what else can one do?
Attached Images

Ingeborg

www.thepottersworkshop.com
Ingeborg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase