Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 01-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
tiledood
Pronounced Leh'-Nerd Skin'-Nerd

Send a message via Yahoo to tiledood
Spectra-loc question

I used Spectra-Loc for the first time this past year. It is definately a lot easier to use than the old 2 part epoxy mixes. Though I've never seen it happen, I've been warned for years that epoxies tend to yellow over time due to ultraviolet light. Anyone have yellowing issues with the Sprctra-Loc series?
Unread 01-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
LGB
Tile Contractor -- Pennsylvania

The only color that I've ever heard this happening with is white.
Unread 01-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Yes,
The white will yellow. Dont believe Laticrete when they say it wont. It's not bad but it does happen. Just let your customer know this.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
tiledood

Thanks for the responses, guys.
Unread 01-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
Art in Stone
Flooring Contractor -- Las Vegas

Your Spectra Loc isn't a 2 part Epoxy??

"If you don't have the time to do something right, where are you going to find the time to fix it?

Stephen King
Art in Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Saldibs
Tile Contractor -- Boston North Shore

Send a message via ICQ to Saldibs
I have only used the Spectra-loc Pro and it has Part A, Part B and the sand???
You can only choose one!

elitetileco.com
Saldibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
tiledood

Ramon, As Laticrete provides the "aggregate" in the Spectraloc "kit", I think of it as a 3 part system. The "Old 2 part epoxy" grout was 2 part (resin and hardner) added to normal cementous grout. My exposure to that system is black grout from over 25 years ago. I remember it well and say with confidence that I wouldn't recommend it.
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
Art in Stone

I agree, we did quite a few Hotels and Naval bases with Solvent base clean ups and wouldn't recommend it either.
I guess I read your post incorrectly. All epoxy grouts have been an " A,B, and an aggregate". it's just that Spectra Loc is a water clean up. I thought you were talking about the new "Premixed" type epoxies (Quartzloc, Opticolor etc.).
We were one of the first Co's. to use the Spectraloc in a Marriott Renovation almost 5 years ago. It was really bad. It hardened in a bout 15 min. and the clean-up was worse. The laticrete rep. showed us the Cascade Vinegar clean up technique. Still very bad. The new "Pro" is better and comes with the clean up powders and sponges and gloves. It also has a longer work time.
Although the technology is great, it still has many problems. When first mixed it's really soft, runny, and slowly sags into the grout joints. If your floor is a little uneven, where you had to put more thinset under your tile to compensate for the height difference, you're screwed. You come back a few hours later and your grout joints are full of holes. If you wait a little while longer for the grout to stiffen up a little bit then you cut down your workable time considerably and you end up with Popeye forearms.
And one last thing, the coverage chart for this product is way off. Right now I'm doing the Sheraton in Universal Studios, and the Marriott Waterfront in Downtown Baltimore. Both of these jobs are using the same tile(16"x16" 3/8" thick Porcelain) with an 1/8" grout joint. I'm getting 500 sq/ft out of every Commercial Unit(4-A,B's and 4-C's. I'm supposed to be getting over 700 sq/ft. I've talked to the Laticrete rep's 5 times now to no avail. What's funny is that if I use a regular sanded grout, I get pretty close to what it says on the 25lbs. bag.

"If you don't have the time to do something right, where are you going to find the time to fix it?

Stephen King

Last edited by Art in Stone; 01-11-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
tiledood

Big thanks for that post Ramon. I guess the "Pro" kit is what I used last year. I didn't get the pot life as projected in the product literature, either. Within 20 minutes or so, (which aint much) the batch was turning into a big greasy wad of stinky bubblegum. But, by then I had finished spreading and compared to what I was expecting, the clean up procedure was really easy. It's worth mentioning that this was used on a counter-top project that was under 50 ft. and I wouldn't have had time to spread much more than that.

I don't know much about the premixed products that you mentioned. A number of years ago, I got roped into using the "latest and greatest" advancement in grouting systems with what was then known as "Stain Proof" grout. It was pre-mixed and if I remember right, manufactured by TEC. I already had 600 ft. of the tile installed when the client suddenly got religion and not just wanted the stuff- was gonna have it- with or without me. My assessment? Once clean, the little resealable plastic tubs the product was shipped in, made wonderful nail buckets- and that's about as generous as I can be.
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
nforcer2

Ramon, what rep have you been dealing with?
nforcer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
Art in Stone

nforcer,
(No names) I worked with the old San Diego rep.(great guy). The Las Vegas guy(not so great). My friend is the head of the flooring dept. for Wynn Las Vegas and he wasn't to happy either for a while, when the first tower was going up. I had the San Diego guy go over and help them out with the tile install on those stainless steel pools( all the suites). I talked to the Denver rep. once also. And the Virginia guy too. And I just spoke to the new San diego guy a day or two ago.

Same old thing. "Are you grouting all the way to the wall?" "Are you getting enough thinset underneath the tiles?" "Are you mixing all of the part C?" etc....
Bottom line, is my bottom line. When I'm getting almost 30% less coverage than I'm supposed to, somethings wrong. I use regular(cementious)grout and the coverage is pretty close. Then what's the deal? At $170.00 a pop(A,B,C) it adds up quickly. By the way, the Baltimore job is roughly 65,000 sq/ft of flooring , the Universal Studios job 38,000 sq/ft, and the Denver job 10,000 sq/ft. The difference adds up quickly.

P.S. All of the grout for Baltimore was coming from Dal, it's now coming from Capitol Tile. The grout for Burbank(Universal) is now coming from Arizona, and we just started picking up at Rio Grande in Denver today. We are no longer a Dal tile costumer.

Stephen King

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase