Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
bayview

inconsistent grout color

It has been a few days after our contractor finished the tile floor in our kitchen, and I assume the grout lines are dry enough now. But they show inconsistent colors. The grout we have is Laticrete 1600 unsanded in almond color. I noticed that most of the grout lines are lighter than almond, with a few lines a little bit darker. The interesting part is that after I spray water on the grout, they all appear to have consistent color in the right shade. I wonder if there is anything I can do to make the color consistent permanently (not only when wet). Should I consider the aquamix colorant for this? Thank you for your suggstions in advance.

Wendy
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If there was too much water used during the cleanup, it can wash some of the color out of the top layer. This can be fixed by some scrubbing. this is also something you should bring up with the contractor.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Yep, you certainly should talk to him. Sometimes, you can seal the grout with a penetrating, enhancing sealer and it MIGHT darken the grout to your expectations.....but, no guarantee on that.

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Jaz
Michigan Tile Pro

Hi Wendy,

There could be many reasons this happened. Most could have to do on how the grouting was done. But there are other factors.

I recommend a product such as AquaMix Enrich N Seal. It'll darken the grout as it seals it, which needs to be done anyway. Please tell us what kind of tiles were installed on your floor using unsanded grout.

Jaz
Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
kburdick@twcny.rr.com

uneven grout

same problem, Wendy. Lacticrete 1600. Dried white on my tile without any water applied to it. When I apply water, it is the color I wanted, a dark brown. When it dries, it is white. I have cleaned it and cleaned it. laticrete tells me to use an enhancer. I will, but, I have tried that before with NO SUCCESS. I never had these problems years ago, these products stink. stink. stink. Garbage products, that is what the problem is. I ended up using exterior paint on my grout lines on my floor, which, I might add, I absolutely love and have had no problems with in 8 months(no color change with mopping, etc. ) No one has told me in this forum that that will cause me horrible problems.. because no one has tried it. ..Think seriously about using exterior paint, Wendy. It comes in a million colors. Can you imagine trying to get paint OUT OF YOU GROUT IF YOUR ACCIDENTALLY spilled it? Couldn't be done without removing the grout, itself. It is the only solution, after MANY well meaning suggestions and trial and error attempts, that WORKS. The color is consistent and it really does not take that much time. Not as much time as trying to do everything that everyone suggest you do to try to get a true color from your grout. Believe me, I have tried it all and NOTHING works to get color you want. I am not going to even try to many "suggestions", after my last project. Just accept what you have, or paint the joints with a good exterior paint and seal over it. Done, end of the freaking frustration.
Sherry
Unread 08-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #6
kburdick@twcny.rr.com

aquamix colorant

Aquamix colorant colors are extremely limited. Tried that,too. Someone please post why they think exterior paint will NOT WORK?!!! I have used it and am very, very pleased, as I state above. Exterior paint comes in a million colors.......
Unread 08-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Billybing

one reason this problem happens is the setter that mixed the grout added to much water taking some of the colour out but like people are saying a good high gloss sealer will give you that wet look.
Billybing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
kburdick@twcny.rr.com

no water in the mix

No water in my mix...Admix, I think it is called. Still have the problem.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase