Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #61
cx
Moderator emeritus

Mmmmm. Forest Green stone tile may be a problem, but Rainforest Green is OK?

I, for one, have zero experience with that specific tile, Zane.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #62
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Zane, I'm not sure how long it took for the tiles to warp. I noticed it about a week after I had installed it. This builder and designer wife liked green marble, especially what was called Hulien green. Hulien came in dark and in light and the light was the one that warped. I installed many fireplace surrounds with Hulien green before that one warped using thinset. I asked the builder every time before installing it if he wanted me to use epoxy and he would ask what we used the time before. I'd tell him thinset and he would tell me to use thinset again. Finally, he built himself a house and that's the one that warped.

Back then, the factory put a sticker on every box saying that it was best to use epoxy to install it. Don't know if they do that anymore.

The biggest problem I had using epoxy was getting the marble to stay on the shower ceiling. The epoxy doesn't cause a suction to hold them up like thinset does. Didn't for me anyway.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #63
ztrain727

Thank you CX and Davy very, very much! I called around yesterday and no one even sells epoxy thinset around here, including a few tile suppliers. No stickers on these I’m afraid. I also read some come with an epoxy/mesh backing which means use epoxy. These are raw stone.

I just evaluated the test results, but feel like a fool for not checking them with a straight edge beforehand. Many discriptions of the curling were so dramatic I thought it would be clear cut. Nothing seems warped on the towel test. The one on thinset however has a very slight (1/32”) indent when checked diagonally. Another tile I began soaking face down with wet rags and tiling sponges on the back yesterday morning. It’s flat with a very subtle variation along one diagonal, but oddly in the opposite direction of the thinset tile (it has a very slight crown diagonally across the polished face).

The tiles that were not wetted seem quite flat. I found one with minor crown after testing about half the batch

I am going to set another in thinset, one I have checked carefully for flatness, and set it on a very level surface.
Unread 11-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #64
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If they're going to warp, it'll be when they get wet but might take a day or two. The tile you said warped 1/32, that's enough to break the bond if it was on your shower wall.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 11-09-2019, 11:12 AM   #65
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane
I am going to set another in thinset, one I have checked carefully for flatness, and set it on a very level surface.
Level has no bearing at all on your test, Zane, it's flat you're looking for.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #66
ztrain727

Thank you both again!

Test results for the next tile on versabond show no warping. Other tiles are the same as yesterday.

I don’t know why I didn’t do this sooner, but I ran a google search of the John Bridge forums for green marble and found these:

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=37146
https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=67062
https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...p/t-92174.html
https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=125867

The bottom line seems to be that some serpentine is what warps. What is unclear is whether Rainforest green is indeed serpentine, but most articles I’ve read say it is.

Tool Guy KG says “Rainforest Green is definitely a serpentine.”
Trask says “Rain Forest smells like mud when you cut it but it stays put with thinset just fine.. Literally done Tons of it in the past two years ...not one problem with Versa bond“
Granite Girl says “The Rainforest Green is not a serpentine”
Turangi says “I was told by an experienced marble fabricator that the Rainforest is actually a sandstone rather than a marble and not prone to warping.”
Doitright says “Granite Guru's website says:Rain Forest Green is not technically a marble, it's a Serpentinite”

I’m beyond confused, and it seems like everyone else is too. Considering another thinset test or even installing a piece or two. Also still hunting for epoxy thinset.

Some people coat the backs in epoxy, but the thinset to epoxy bond is in question.

Last edited by ztrain727; 11-10-2019 at 01:15 PM.
ztrain727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #67
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You might look into Latapoxy 300, made by Laticrete. I'm sure Customs and Mapei has epoxy adhesives also.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase