Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #16
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hard to say without knowing exactly where that's at. Looks like a BN at the bottom that they ripped down.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #17
Kman

I thought it was just a crappy grout job in that area. Looks like the grout wasn't cleaned properly.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #18
AZCAL

Lou_MA, it sounds like you're suggesting that you would have expected the labor to cost more. We did not negotiate the price down; that's what he proposed. I would gladly have paid more to get it done right. The bathroom is small, but tile half-way up the walls. Cement tiles on floor were expensive.

Davy, those jagged tiles were cut because they are on roughly 4-inch tall curb/wall below glass door to enter shower. The width of the shower curb/wall is narrower than width of the two tiles together. So he cut the tiles length wise to keep the joint in the center.

Kman and Davy, the grout was supposed to be a dark grey. He presented my wife with a selection of color cards and that's the color she liked. I feel like he should have cautioned against that. She provided him with the instructions from the cement tile manufacturer which strongly recommend against a dark grout because it will stain the tiles. The manufacturer instructions for every other cement tile that I could find online include a similar warning. When the smearing appeared on the floor tiles, I asked if he was aware of the recommendation not to use dark grout and he said he was, but often has customers who still want to use it. Should my wife have read the instructions herself? Maybe, but that was the point of giving them to him. She would have picked a light color had she known. The cement floor tile was really the main design element in the bathroom and I'm sick to my stomach every time I look at it. It looks like dark grease film on top. I offered to pay for new tile if he would install it for free and he recommend an abrasive applied with a machine, which seemed to make it marginally better, but the discoloration is now back (not sure why). I'm inclined to ask him to redo it, but I am concerned about his competence at this point given this is apparently a challenging product to work with. The grout turned out to be a light grey with chalky, white spots (too much water) on the walls outside the shower, but blotchy black and white in shower. It looks like old, moldy grout in numerous spots in shower, like between ragged tiles on curb/wall for shower threshold. The penny tiles grout is a mixture of milky with dark blotches. My guess would be that you cannot regrout penny tiles; just too complicated.

Thanks again; we're just exhausted and uncertain how to proceed. You're insights and advice have been great.
Unread 12-26-2018, 12:32 PM   #19
makethatkerdistick

From my own limited DIY experience I know that cement grouts are hard to get right in terms of color consistency. It's easy to wash out the pigments when sponge-tooling the grout. Been there!
Entry level grouts like Polyblend (I assume your contractor used something like this) are basically a good and affordable product but lack of color consistency is their Achilles heel. Some colors are more prone to this.
You can certainly stain the grout to make it look uniform. If the shower is otherwise tolerable to you, this might be the easiest, especially with the penny tile. If you decide to have the grout redone, you should use a premium cement grout or, if color uniformity is very important, an acrylic or urethane
grout.

I am not sure what abrasive your contractor is talking about. I'd be wary of this as it could also hurt the surface of the tiles and take away from their shine.
Unread 12-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #20
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Chris, I was originally thinking about the top of the curb, that's one place we occasionally have to rip down BN and place the cuts together. Using a rub stone on those edges may have helped but I still think that if white grout would have been used, it wouldn't be an issue.

He should have masked off the cement tiles, no excuse for not doing it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 01-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #21
AZCAL

Tiled on yellow side of DensShield in shower

I just realized, from looking at pictures my wife took in the process, that contractor installed the DensShield wallboard with the yellow side facing into the shower and tiled on the yellow side. The manufacturer instructions clearly state that tile goes on the grey side that is specially coated with some water resistant material. Is there any way this is OK? Does the shower need to be ripped out?

Thanks, Chris
Unread 01-05-2019, 10:44 PM   #22
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Thanks for asking. My first recommendation would be to absolutely identify the product. GP makes a number of products with yellow sides and it could even be something else. Once you’ve determined it is Densshield, just contact GP technical support at 800-225-6119. They are the best resource for your question.

Densshield has a gray face that’s the waterproofing surface. The other side is just a fiberglass backing. So even if it did hold tile sufficiently, basically your waterproofing membrane would be on the backside of your gypsum. Not where you want it to be.

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2019, 11:43 PM   #23
Kman

If it is Densshield, you definitely have a problem, and not only with the materials. If your installer is putting the materials up backwards, you probably need a new installer.

Unread 01-06-2019, 12:46 AM   #24
AZCAL

Thanks. Definitely the wrong side. The board says "TILE OTHER SIDE" on the yellow side that they tiled on. So much for literacy and paying attention.
Unread 01-06-2019, 09:16 AM   #25
speed51133

at least the tile wasn't installed backwards, yes, there are pics of that!
Unread 07-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #26
AZCAL

Tile contractor ended up redoing horrible tile job that started this thread. Went back to the studs and started over. Attached pictures are of floor in new shower. Grout discoloration appeared shortly after started using shower. Any ideas regarding cause and possible fix? Totally out of patience (and money) with this tile contractor.
Attached Images

Unread 07-27-2019, 05:16 AM   #27
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

That looks like mold in those grout lines. Does it clean off? I can see why your unhappy with that look.
Unread 07-27-2019, 05:58 AM   #28
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I doubt it's mold if the floor is new. Do you know what grout he used? Brand and type? Did he use gray thinset to install the floor?

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 07-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #29
makethatkerdistick

Is the grout washing out of the joints as well? It seems like this grout didn't set up properly. Do you know the type of grout that was used?
Unread 07-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #30
Kman

There are several remedies for this problem, but unless the grout is actually coming out or cracking, I'd go with the quickest one that will work. And also because I know you're at the end of your rope.

I'd get some stain from the same manufacturer as the grout and go over what you have. It may first require washing with sulfamic acid first, so it's important to know how long the grout has been installed.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase