Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
Scott_in_VA

Tile install quality issue

Hi - we are having our master bath renovated, including a new steam shower. The renovation included a full gut of the bedroom and bathroom, so the shower framing was brand new, including the entire ceiling in the bath.

We have had other reno's in the house so I am familiar with different levels of quality in contractors. For the master reno, I quickly noticed a lack of carpenters square and level when framing. I commented that I wanted everything level, plumb and square (not too much to ask, right?). Well, the contractor and his subs did what they wanted and little was level, plumb and square by the time the tile job started. After the first day, the tile guy was muttering about all the mud he needed and I raised a red flag with the contractor - the tile on the first wall was sitting on more than half an inch of mud. I knew this was a bad sign. The contractor replied there was nothing to worry about, he was used to seeing lots of mud. I knew this was another bad sign. I told him hiding mud behind the tile was one thing, but we could not accept a mass of mud on any exposed edge. He could hide it if there were, said the contractor. Well, the shower enclosure took more than a week to tile and the result was what I feared - the mud was exposed along the front edge of the ceiling tile in an uneven grout gap ranging from 1/4" on the left side to 3/4" on the right side.

This is our fourth bath remodel and none of the other baths ended up with tile sitting off the wall. I've heard excuses about the rubber membrane pushing all the drywall/concrete board out to the ceiling rafters aren't level.

This is not an inexpensive remodel - more than 50k involved. I told the contractor it was unacceptable to have the exposed ceiling tile sitting 3/4" off the ceiling and that the uneven grout gap along the front edge of shower was a sign something was grossly wrong.

I have a couple pictures to post but as a new user I don't seem to have the ability to upload.

I'm asking you experts how hard I am justified in pushing back on the contractor to fix this issue. My gut says this is a tearout / start over situation. That could cost thousands and thousands of dollars and I know the contractor will fight that solution. How common is tile on stilts / lots of mud and what is my recourse?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Regards,
Scott
Unread 08-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Scott,

Welcome to the forum.

You should be able to post pictures. Just click on the paperclip icon and follow along.

Pics will really help.

By 'mud' do you mean the material used to set the tiles to the substrate ?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Scott_in_VA

I have uploaded a couple pictures. One shows the wall on the first day of tiling. The second shows the exposed edge of the ceiling tile on the front side of the shower.

And yes, by "mud", I mean the thinset or glue used by the installer. The installer is very good with more than 20 years experience, but he was dodging bulges, un-plumbness and bad angles inside the shower.

Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 08-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
916tile
TileCoach

Ceiling 1/2" out

1/2" is quite a bit for the ceiling. I think the tile guy should have either brought it up to his CG, or just gone for a flat ceiling vs. a level one. I would throw a level on the ceiling to see if the tile guy got out of whack as well, which could happen when working on a ceiling.
At this point, the drywall guys might be able to float the ceiling to level out/fill in what might be a low spot. When these things come up, you really need to put a level on everything to find out what happened.
916tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
Executive Flooring

The excess of mortar is one issue.

An even bigger issue would be exactly how it is constructed considering you said it was a steam shower, which requires a lot more then just basic shower construction.
Unread 08-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #6
Swedes Tile

Looks nice and flat! It sometimes takes a lot of mud to make these large tiles to sit flat with crooked walls.
Swedes Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Ray brings up a good point. Can you see behind the cement board anywhere- like maybe the shower valve? There should be some sort of plastic or tar paper or something back there. If not, you've got problems.

Redgard can be used for steam showers but it has to be applied really thick and it sure doesn't look like it's near thick enough in that photo.

Why you should NOT buy a newly remodeled home ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2015, 08:20 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You said that you told the contractor to get everything plumb and level. Which is hard to do but could have been done better than he did. Looking at the tile surface, it looks real flat in the pics. I think the blame should be on the contractor, not the tileman.

Can you find some type of rail or decorative piece to go around the edge?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #9
916tile
TileCoach

Decorative Piece

Davy has a great suggestion. Maybe a silver travertine---
Emser has a Tumbled Silver 1x12 Cigaro, and a 1 1/2" by 12 mini-ogee
916tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Scott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
...the mud was exposed along the front edge of the ceiling tile in an uneven grout gap ranging from 1/4" on the left side to 3/4" on the right side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
And yes, by "mud", I mean the thinset or glue used by the installer.
I'm more concerned with the material used to build out the tiles than in the actual building out if the framing demanded that. Using thinset mortar for such a build-out is not at all acceptable.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Maybe it was some of that super duper LFT thinset.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase