Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-06-2019, 10:54 PM   #106
amodoko

Yes, that purple primer stains everything. I got it all over my clothes and it has never come out, hahaha. I had also heard arguments that the primer even weakens the joint slightly. But I made sure to use it anyways since I believe a lot of areas require it for code purposes
Unread 12-06-2019, 11:04 PM   #107
cx
Moderator emeritus

I, too, have read reports years ago showing that the primer, of whatever color, was of no positive value in those solvent weld joints, AM, and even reduce the effectiveness of the glue in some cases as you indicate. Many years since I've used any of the primer and I've put together a bunch of PVC plumbing, much of it pressure water, without ever having a joint failure.

And not a single purple stain on anything!

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2019, 11:30 PM   #108
amodoko

That's good to know CX. I had read an article on it a few weeks ago where someone did an actual study on it measuring the effect of purple primer on joint strength and his study showed that primer did weaken the joint. I just didn't know how truthful the study was but I know a lot of other pros don't like using it and have said they have better luck without the primer in pressure systems. It's nice to know that I don't have to use primer for functional purposes
Unread 12-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #109
cx
Moderator emeritus

I do, however, clean both sides of every joint with a combination of Acetone and MEK solvent, a can of which is taped to my can of solvent weld glue. I can't speak to the actual need for that, either, but it makes me feel better.

Unread 12-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #110
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I agree with CX, however, the inspectors round these parts want to see a slathering of purple all over the place in order to pass inspection. I used to apply the primer very neatly and was chided by several inspectors for making their job too hard.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #111
cx
Moderator emeritus

Which has never made any sense to me at all, Paul. The presence of the purple gives no indication at all of whether the joint has been glued. I know of one house I'd done remodel work on several times and the old guy who built the place plumbed the inside in CPVC. At least a half dozen of his pressure water joints failed because he'd put his purple primer on the parts, but no glue. Some of them were 20 years old before they failed.

But the inspector woulda loved them.

Unread 12-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #112
amodoko

Oh wow, I'm surprised those pressure joints lasted so long with just primer on them and no glue. That's just incredible.
Unread 12-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #113
cx
Moderator emeritus

Think I said something akin to that every time I repaired one of'em, AM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase