Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 06-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Golden Tile

Kitchen Backsplash Price what do you think about my decision.

im working with a new builder and i already gave him a price in kitchen backsplash, and my price was per lft. $20.00 and he said my price is high so i told him that he can find someone else because thats the price of my laibor. The area is 18in. tall. what do you think about my decision.
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Pirate

Well, if it was 10 feet, that would be $200. I think you made the right decision.
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Luis.

I think it was your decision and it matters not a whit what I think of it.

I have no idea where you are, I can't see any part of the job from here, and I have no knowledge of the tile selection. Couldn't even guess what it should cost for me to do the job, let alone try to guess what it should cost for someone else to do it. That's really the bottom line for all of us out here.

If you offer to charge more than the customer wants to pay, he'll hafta find someone else to do the job. Happens every day.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Luis, welcome to the forum. Since you're a pro and you're talking shop, let's move you over to the Pro's Hangout. Please introduce yourself and tell us a little about what you do.

Now, onto your question. Most builders want what is impossible to give them...simple numbers on what often amounts to complex projects. There are a relatively small percentage of builders who understand how to use simple numbers properly. But most often, simple numbers are abused more often than simply used for what they were intended.

If the discussion between you and the builder was much deeper than what you described, it may be that you are too expensive for his particular clientele. But if the conversation was as short as you describe, I've heard those words far too often to take them seriously. Do you have any idea if the quality you provide is inline with quality this builder's clientele demands?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Calgary Dave

That's cheap where I live. Kitchen splash: $500 min charge. Mosaics, stone, glass: $750. Any design, multiple types of tile/stone, natural stone: $1,000 min charge.
Calgary Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

I'll do it for $150 ! What do you want me to leave out,the thinset or the grout?
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

He's a builder, if you did it for $5.00 a ft he would want it for two, that's just the way it is. Your price is more then fair.

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Arimert

I dont do much sf pricing, i do x number @000 +materials....i have found sf pricing dose not work for custom tile installations.
ADR Tile&Stone. Certified tile installer#852
Arimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
La_Floors

Too many variables for me to do backsplashes by the ft. Do they want a simple straight lay, or on a 45?. Any decos or borders in them? Some want a decorative picture frame above the stove. Natural stone has to be sealed before grouting. I have done a couple at $20 a ft. And lost my arse. Will not happen again. I always get with the customer and find out exactly what they want before giving a price. Frames, decos, borders, and 45's take alot of time and are very tedious .
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
CustomTile

backsplashes are hard to bid, theres usually such little space but a lot of detail I started charging by how many days it should take me to get it done.
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Had a similar situation today. Fell into contact with a very good custom home builder in the area and they offered me a couple of backsplashes, as a get-to-know-you and they are in a time bind. 32 ft2 of mixed mosaic, with cut-in outlets and a window to trim, so I gave, what I thought was a lean price of $800. Turns out that I was WAY over the $280 that the other guy, who's now too busy to do the work, had bid the splash for.
"Really? How the hell does he stay in business with a price like that? Seriously! How does he pay for insurance and a roof over his head?"
I compromised a bit on my price because I want to see if the promised "next project" pans out. My son and their daughter had fun together on the same soccer team this Spring and my wife and I would like to get to know them more socially. We'll see.
Sometimes you make a compromise, not for the money, but because it's worth it to you in other areas.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Shaughnn,

You really expect him to call back??

You just saved his butt. When his old tile setter gets 'unbusy' you know he'll be right back to setting BS's for $280 (or less)

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #13
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Paul,
He's a neighbor. Our kids played together. My wife and I like him and his wife, and the reverse seems true, even before we learned that we are both contractors. If it grows into a professional relationship also, that's cool. I'm just looking at it from a "helping a friend" angle and if it becomes profitable too, then that's great.
My current client isn't in a rush and is happy to let me pull off for this, I've got flexibility in my schedule, and he really does build a spectacular home. I've been very clear that this isn't a rate that I'm interested in repeating. We'll see?

Shaughnn
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

That's good to hear that you have a differnt relation than the usual GC : sub agreement. Let us know how it works out.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Not saying that I'm not half-expecting to get the short end of this deal. Just saying that I'm not going to take it personal if that happens. :^)
Shaughnn

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase