Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
padiyguy

Marble backsplash sealing question

I've read for a couple hours and I still don't really understand. I have 3 x 6 marble subway tiles on my backsplash... I was told to seal before grouting and then again after.

There are so many sealers, it's overwhelming.

For convenience, I'd like to stick to the big box sealers so my choices are:

Aqua Mix Enrich 'N' Seal Penetrating Sealer
Miracle Sealants Tile, Stone and Grout Sealer
Miracle Sealants 511 Impregnator

I've seen all these mentioned on the forums but I can't get a good understanding of the miracle tile stone and grout sealer vs the 511 impregnator... it seems like the same thing?

Also the enrich 'n' seal has a lot of positive reviews here. How is that going to change the look of the marble tile? It's going to bring the veins out? Is that a more dramatic effect then the others?

My wife is a messy cook and this is up against the stove so I want to go with something that is going to protect!

Also, how many coats of seal before grouting?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Unread 09-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
I was told to seal before grouting and then again after.
By whom?

If you're looking for grout release action, choose a grout release. If you just want a penetrating sealer, either of the Miracle products will suffice. You can seal before the grout release if you want. And you can seal after grouting if you want.

As for an enhancer (The Aqua Mix product), the only way you'll know just what effect it will have on your tile is to apply some of it to one of your tiles. Sometimes the effect is rather dramatic, sometimes much more subtle. The enhancer is also a penetrating sealer and if you want to use it you'll want to apply it before you apply any other sealer or grout release.

You do understand that using any of those sealers will not protect your stone form all sorts of stains? You will get some temporary protection (helpful if you clean up quickly) from some sorts of stains, but I recommend you don't think of them as full protection of your stone backsplash.

You might, if you are an adventuresome fella, caution Mrs. Dave to be a little more careful with her lovely new stone backsplash, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
padiyguy

Thanks for the reply CX.

Quote:
By whom?
Tile store

Quote:
If you're looking for grout release action, choose a grout release. If you just want a penetrating sealer, either of the Miracle products will suffice. You can seal before the grout release if you want. And you can seal after grouting if you want.
I didn't even consider the grout release. Any thoughts on using this with my marble? Actually upon further reading, the aquamix product referenced below claims it acts as a grout release as well.

Quote:
As for an enhancer (The Aqua Mix product), the only way you'll know just what effect it will have on your tile is to apply some of it to one of your tiles. Sometimes the effect is rather dramatic, sometimes much more subtle. The enhancer is also a penetrating sealer and if you want to use it you'll want to apply it before you apply any other sealer or grout release.
At $50 for the jug, I will probably go with the aqua mix enhancer. Wish I could try it on a tile but oh well. Reviews seem good and lots of good feedback here.

Quote:
You do understand that using any of those sealers will not protect your stone form all sorts of stains? You will get some temporary protection (helpful if you clean up quickly) from some sorts of stains, but I recommend you don't think of them as full protection of your stone backsplash.
Yes I realize that, but thanks for the reminder. Sadly, I was actually thinking of having some piece of cardboard that my wife can put up when she is cooking... pretty tacky. Or she can just be more careful!! Our kitchen was so trashy before, it didnt really matter. After the renovation hopefully we will have a little more respect.

Sadly I still don't really understand the difference between these two products:

Unread 09-17-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If you like the shade of the marble as it is, I'd play it safe and use the 511 and not the enhancer.

Like Cx said, clean up any spills or splashes right away. Anything left on the marble for a while may stain it regardless of which sealer you use.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2020, 11:52 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by padiyguy
Sadly I still don't really understand the difference between these two products:

The materials used to make sealers effective are expensive.
The 511 is the high-quality stuff.
The Tile, Stone and Grout Sealer is the diluted, cheaper version.

And I agree with Davy on not using the enhancer unless you’ve tried it on several of your tiles. In addition, it can alter your grout color...not exactly something you wanna be surprised with.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #6
padiyguy

Marble backsplash - seal or caulk first?

I sealed my marble backsplash before grouting, now the grout is in and I am going to seal it again. My question - caulk before sealing or seal then caulk?

The sealer makes it hard for things to stick, so I figured the caulk would have a better shot going on first. However, if I caulk and then get some sealer on the caulk I figured it could discolor it.

I know it's a minor detail, but just curious what others are doing.
Unread 10-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FOr the next time, if you don't have a spare tile to check the results of an enhancing sealer, wet it down well with some water. This tends to darken marble, and make any veining more prominent. On some stone, it can make dramatic differences that you may or may not like. But, once it's applied, because it penetrates, there's nothing you can do to change it back.

I think I'd seal then caulk, but I'd first read the fine print on both products, and I'd wait to hear what others said! The sealer instructions often require a wait between applying the grout and then the sealer to allow the excess moisture to evaporate from the grout (and maybe tile) before adding the sealer. This is in the order of days, not hours.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase