Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
arlingtonstone

Is Senguard discontinued?

Hi, all. I just discovered that the Senguard application kit is no longer available on Amazon, and my stone professional is also unable to locate the product. His suppliers report that it has been discontinued. Does anyone have any information to validate that report? What happened? Has Senguard been found to be defective or ineffective?

I had my new white marble bathroom (floors and walls) sealed with Senguard a year ago, and now we're looking to seal the last bit of base and liner that were installed last week. (Yes, my bathroom reno took that long. Please don't ask.) The stone pro reported that the leftover Senguard evaporated from the container, so now we're on the hunt for more to finish these last bits. My daughter has been without a bathtub for the first year of her life, and we're hoping to upgrade from the kitchen sink ASAP!

Many thanks!
Unread 08-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dana.

Using our Advanced Search feature I find very little discussion of that product and none at all for the past ten years or so. I've personally never heard of the product. Do you know the manufacturer's name?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
arlingtonstone

Thank you, CX! I, the newbie, will read up ASAP.

I understand that Cosentino manufactures Senguard, which is the sealer/coating of their Sensa line of stain-resistant stone. The product was until recently available to fabricators/installers (and oddly through Amazon) as a standalone, impregnating, breathable, permanent sealer. Senguard is in my understanding comparable to Stain-Proof/Dry Treat--or better or worse depending on whom you ask.

I thought I had arrived on this forum following a thread (from 2010?) that discussed the pros/cons of Senguard, but I've been all over with my research. I've learned a lot about stone here in just a few days, thank you!
Unread 08-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Dana!

Sorry, I’ve never heard of the stuff before. There are plenty of manufacturers like this that just sort of evaporate into the background...even if the product is good and well liked.

Can I ask about your marble? We have quite a wealth of knowledge on the forum here and I ask about your marble because you may have been ‘sold’ on sealing as doing more than what it’s capable of. For instance, many salespeople that sell the stuff advertise it as keeping moisture from getting into the tile or grout. Reality is different than that common mistake and I’d like to possibly save you some time and energy. Especially since polished marble doesn’t generally absorb any sealer.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
arlingtonstone

Thanks, Tool Guy! I'm always happy to talk about my marble. And I welcome all wise advice on caring for it.

Throughout the bathroom and walk-in shower, the floor tile is a marble mosaic with a brushed finish (Walker Zanger Borghese Grigio); the walls are honed Carrara bianco; the base is honed Carrara venato; and the counter is honed Calacatta caldia.

The tile supplier advised sealing before and after grouting to prevent staining (but not etching). The floors and walls were installed and sealed with Senguard last year, and now the base and counter are installed but no sealant applied yet.

I noticed that the Senguard left some shine on the brushed floor surface that is very noticeable with the specular reflection from the windows. I didn't expect that, but it's not awful. Bath is still under construction, so there's still time to teach me to what to do and expect with my marble. Too late to talk me into porcelain, though. :-)
Unread 09-01-2020, 09:38 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Most sealers (the non-enhancing type) these days are penetrating and do not change the look of tile in any way. Your unexpected shiny tile, I suspect, may be coming from a common application error: applying the sealer, but failing to polish it completely and totally dry after the prescribed dwell time. Allowing excess sealer to dry on the surface often leaves an uneven shiny mess. The typical remedy for such is to apply more of the same sealer, allow it to dwell for 5 minutes so that the carrier/solvent re-emulsifies the solids, then polish it dry...repeating as needed. But with your lack of that same sealer, you’ll either need to try the remedy with some new sealer, strip the sealer with a high alkaline cleaner, or live with it.

While I can’t help you find your existing sealer, I can say that a high quality sealer like Sealers Choice Gold is a very good one...but then again, I can make arguments for why a sealer in the bathroom doesn’t hold any real value to me, as sealers’ only function is to buy you a little time to clean a potentially staining liquid from becoming a permanent stain. Since most staining liquids are from food and food isn’t usually consumed in a bathroom, I see little value for sealing tile here.

As far as what to expect with your stone shower floor: hopefully, moisture does not soak into it and cause it to unexpectedly darken in some areas, giving it a permanently wet look. If it does, there is no remedy short of replacing it with tile that absorbs less moisture than that stone. It is a problem that affects one job, but not the next. It is not predictable with a high degree of accuracy. It is frustrating and very costly to fix...hence, the warning of using natural stone in such a location. Hopefully, your stone won’t be affected by this problem. I wish you the best.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase