Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
sblack3412

Sandy's shower

I'm building a Kerdi shower with a sort of neoangle shape. My wife would prefer a seamless shower floor. I can't find any "cultured marble" preformed custom size/shape shower bases that advertise they will work with a Kerdi drain.Besides they all seem to have preformed curbs etc. The shower walls are planned to be travertine or similiar. Isuggested that marble could be set with a 1/8 to 3/18 grout line and she said that would be fine so long as I cleaned after every use.
Any suggestions?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

No need to clean grout every time you use the shower! I'd consider using an epoxy grout if she is worried. With most stone tile, people often try to use a small grout line - 1/16" is not uncommon, but is harder to maintain on a sloped floor. Some tile won't support that small of a grout line since they are not perfectly consistent. You'll also want to seal the tile. Using real stone means it won't be absolutely consistent, which gives it its 'natural' look, that is hard to simluate with a man made product.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
sblack3412

Tile that spans the valleys in the shower floor

I searched the forum and "tile your world " and I can't find an answer so perhaps it isn't really an issue. Since the shower floor is sloped to the drain from 3 or more corners and therefore 3 or more intersections (valleys) where the slopes meet. Any tile laying across this valley will have a low area in the valley. Or in some cases only the corner of a tile will cross the valley. Are these tiles back buttered? is there a certain order or sequence for setting tiles in these intersections? I have seen large tiles cut down the valley but smaller ones 4-6" don't seem to need this.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
bbcamp

That's one of the reasons to use 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4 tiles, Sandy. The smaller tiles follow the contours of the shower floor better. What ever method you need to get full coverage on the tile is acceptable, so long as you get 100% coverage.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
ob1kanobee

It is an even bigger reason to slope the floor to whatever tile size you are using.

If I am setting the shower floor with 6x6 tile, it will have a flatter pitch as apposed to a 2x2 tile and the bigger the tile, the bigger the shower floor preferably.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

It is the grout lines that get wider and narrower to make up the slack when laying tiles over the slopes of a shower floor. The smaller the tile the easier this is. And you get more grout for traction.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
sblack3412

diy kerdi corners-how to make

Is figure 96 in the Kerdi shower book the correct layout of a diy inside and outside corner (before installation)? Is a 45 cut in from the corner amother way to do it? Some of the pictures (for outside corners) in the Kerdi book look like a square with a square cut out of the corner. In all cases I'm assuming the patch is squeezed into the corner so that a tiny bit of uncut membrane is in the corner
Thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

For inside corner, you just need 1 piece. Cut from center of 4x4 piece to middle of 1 of the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy
I'm assuming the patch is squeezed into the corner so that a tiny bit of uncut membrane is in the corner
Yes.
For outside corner, you need 2 pieces. One like above that is overlapped by one with a notch out of the corner.

A little KeridFix in the corner after the mortar cures may ease your mind as well...

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Sandy,

I don't have page 96 at the ready, but after hanging kerdi for 10 yrs I can offer a few pointers;

If you are making your own corners (like I do ) there is a simple method; Say for example you are laying the floor and overlapping onto the walls. Tuck the fabric into the corner and let one flap overlap the other up the walls. You will get a triangular fold pointing up towards the ceiling. Sometimes this is called a hospital corner. Do not cut along the angle. You do cut along the wall-to-wall intersection where the two flaps meet. Scissors are very handy for this as not to poke a hole in the fabric where you don't want one. The end result is one flap overlapping the other flap and going along the wall. The cut you just make will have one half the cut at the vertical seam of the wall, the other will be along the floor/wall seam on one side or the other depending on which side you made your cut.

If you are making your own corners from a scrap piece of fabric and not out of a huge monolithic piece, then take a 6 inch square and make a cut from the center of one of the sides to dead center of the square. The you can perform the same overlap as described above, used for inside and outside corners.

In the days before prefab corners were invented, and dinosaurs roamed the earth, we had to make our own steenkin' corners. Not like thse young kids today. They have everything handed to them. Didn't have to suffer like we did. What do they know???

Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
sblack3412

I'm having trouble visualizing what the tile guy from houston described. Assuming you oversize the floor membrane in order to run it up the walls. So then you're going to make 45 degree cuts at the corners-yes? If you then bend it up the walls there will be a hospital corner-yes? If I'm right so far -do you then trim one tab so it fits in the wall to wall corner and the trim the second tab just enough so it doesn't run under the floor part of the membrane?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Quote:
I'm having trouble visualizing what the tile guy from houston described.
your not the only one.

this is how I make an inside corner, but usually there are 4 in the Kerdi drain box so I never have to. this was a 45 so I had to.

Name:  tt.JPG
Views: 2748
Size:  17.8 KB

Name:  kr.JPG
Views: 2013
Size:  4.3 KB
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #12
Steve C

Hey tile guy from Houston: I stayed with you for most of it. Hard to put into words, eh? I think you did purty good.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #13
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

Question

I tried. But I am terrible with diagrams in this computy thing

Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #14
Houston Remodeler

STAR Senior Contributor

If you are making a 90 corner, you don't cut the fabric on a 45 angle. Its cut on the same plane as the wall / floor joint. is that any clearerer? I;ll be doing this tomorrow and I'll take pics.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #15
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

The thing about making your own 90 corners is your just creating more of a build up with the overlaps.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa Installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan Board
......Tampa Installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdi-Board
..................."Tampa Waterproofed Tile Showers"
..............Porcelain - Travertine - Ceramic - Glass Tile
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase