Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
catwomn

Bedrock tiles & Ditra... Gonna have regrets?

We may regret this, but we're going to lay glass tiles over Ditra. We have 14 x 14 ceramic tiles and 2 x 2 handmade glass tiles (from Bedrock Industries in Seattle) that we're planning to use as accents. After reading about Ditra, we decided to use that instead of cement board. Just our luck... but I didn't find the threads indicating that there might be a problem with glass and Ditra until this past weekend (just after we had ordered the Ditra).

I've spoken with Chris at Bedrock about laying their tiles over Ditra, but he's not familiar with Ditra. After we talked at length, he said his gut is that we won't have a problem. We figure we'll tile one room at first, & see how it goes. We're doing this at our beach house that we're remodeling (usually over long weekends), and since it's often several weeks in between trips down, the tile can have plenty of dry/cure time before we grout. We're not tiling the bathrooms, so the wet area concern should not be an issue.

Just curious... anybody have experience with Bedrock tiles? (Especially with Ditra?)

Thanks,

Susie
catwomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I'm assuming the problem with glass and Ditra is that they're both impervious, and glass usually requires a good modified thinset. The modified part of the thinset needs air to dry. I think with 2" tiles, it should get enough air from the grout lines. I would wait a while to grout though.
Unread 03-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
catwomn

That's our understanding, too. Chris at Bedrock said the same thing about the tiles. We're planning to give it a good long rest before we grout, so hopefully, all will go well.

Susie
catwomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #4
sandbagger

if you use a lightly modified like Versabond your plan will give it way more cure time than necessary. Lots of folks here use Versabond with less cure time and get very good results even though Herr Schluter might not endorse it.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase