Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-23-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
Swimmer Steve

Dewalt Tile Saw-Is this good deal

Is this a good deal or do you stay away from reconditioned? Wonder why no bids?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWalt-Heavy-Dut...QQcmdZViewItem

I didn't invent weird, I just made it weirder.
Swimmer Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

From what I read and hear it's a good saw. It's not a Felker but it is good saw that just doesn't have enough history behind it to accurately judge longevity.

Toolkig sells a ton of stuff though ebay. I'm sure they will have more if you miss this one

Jason
Unread 01-23-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
h_wood86

I am using one of these saws that I picked up used. It works very well for my 18" travertine. Simple and smooth operation. The plunge cutting feature is nice to have for U cuts around door frames.

Don't believe the complete water containment system hype, though. It still mists the area around it and, if the tile extends beyond the side tray, the cutting water runs onto the floor.
h_wood86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Swimmer Steve

Thanks for the replies. I guess what I'm askin is, Is it OK to buy a used one or recon from ebay or is it not worth risk? Also, is that stand worth it? I'm thinking of a home made job with wheels.

Unread 01-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Scuba_Dave
Extreme DIY Homeowner

No bids & 24 minutes left ??
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
lou432
Tile Man -- Southern New Hampsire

I paid 1,000 buck fer mine with stand & love it ! Still use my MK when got 2 jobs goin but I do like the features of the Dewalt !

19 Minutes to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

White sand+ blue water .
Find the grace in things that you can`t change, and help some body if you can!
"Van Zant"
I`d rather be on my Harley thinking about God than in Church thinking about my Harley .

My Tile Work Pictures
lou432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
Swimmer Steve

Yea, it's like watchin the stock market ain't it? Every time I did something there it would turn out to be stupid too

Unread 01-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #8

Steve,
if that's the toolking in 6th ave, they usually sell it with stand for 899 or so.
Either way, it's a good deal, just watch the s/h.
It's also a "professional grade" saw, so unless you're going to get into tile/stone for a profession, might want to just rent a beater.
Unless you've got money to burn...

"I paid 1,000 buck fer mine with stand & love it ! "

Lou, I think only felker is allowed such praise here.
284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
lou432
Tile Man -- Southern New Hampsire

Yea Steve, I know, Felker this Felker that!!!!! Heard lots of good things bout them but 30 yrs in da trade never used one. MK all the way till I splurged on the Dewalt.
And theres a whole thread round here on the Dewalt?

White sand+ blue water .
Find the grace in things that you can`t change, and help some body if you can!
"Van Zant"
I`d rather be on my Harley thinking about God than in Church thinking about my Harley .

My Tile Work Pictures
lou432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 08:25 PM   #10

(Gary).

While felkers are good saws and have been around for a while, that doesn't mean something "newer" isn't either just as good, or better. If this weren't the case, we'd still be all driving a Ford Model T.

I was offered a good deal on a new felker. Was really turned off because of the weight, the cumbersomeness (if that's a word). But the final straw against this good deal was the plastic tray had a chunk out of it, and the plastic gauge was broken. Then I thought about the cheesey way to do miters...then thought about bevels on this and stated, "And you want how much for this?"
After he told me he'd take another $50 or so off, I replied, "Sorry, but DeWalt spoiled me."
Unread 01-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'm not crazy about the plastic pan either, that's why I have the Target saw. It's purty much the same saw but has the metal pan.

Use the Dewalt for 20 years, day in and day out and let us know how good they are cause that's how long my last Felker lasted. In fact, it's still going, I just wanted a new one. I seen a nearly new Dewalt on the job a while back, sounded like the bearings were already shot.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou432
And theres a whole thread round here on the Dewalt?
"A whole thread"? Little sarcastism, eh? Well, that's ok.

Use the search feature. Type in:
"Dewalt saws" and you'll come up with 40 threads.
"Felker saws" and you'll come up with 157 threads.

The DeWALT to Felker thread ratio on the forum is 1:4.
Now considering the DeWALT-to-Felker ratio of "years in the tilesaw business" is far less than 1:4, along with the DeWALT-to-Felker ratio of "available saw models" is far less than 1:4, my math says that they (DeWALT) has a disproportionately large showing on the forum.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2007, 09:13 PM   #13

Davy,
I have a feeling this is one of those "Ford vs. Chevy" conversations. And those always remind me of two guys doing at each other.

Most people get confused with the sound of a dewalt wetsaw because it has a direct drive motor, not a belt system. Turning it on is a jolt and it does run louder, but there's no rubber/fiber cushion drive of a belt. Thus, it IS louder and has a harsh startup. Nature of the drive system.

Ours is about 3 years old, but not worked day in and day out because we mostly worked 6 days a week and sometimes didn't work for a month or two.
Dewalt offers a free "tune up" (adjustments?) for the saw at six months, but we never did it because we kept working, not wanting to waste our time on it. Someway we might take it in for a tune up, but no need to so far.

We've used sawmaster, felker, targer and dewalt. The only one still using the non-dewalt is the guy that does the least work--and has the most helpers.

There's really not much to a tile saw other than an electric motor, a water pump and metal/plastic framework. So other than convenience that makes production quicker and movement easier, the only difference would be "motors". Hmmm, wonder how much diversity there is in motor manufacturing...
Unread 01-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
VanTines tubntile

Send a message via Yahoo to VanTines tubntile
davy are ypu talking about the G2 I was looking at those but i have just bought the MK 101 pro 24 holy heavy , heard a couple things about the G@ but i thought it might be because the local guy here stocks it , hence he wanted to sell it to me , ive been an MK guy for about 7 years they just seem real heavy especially compared to the dewalt just no the biggest fan of all the plastic
Unread 01-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #15
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Hey...the plasics "rule," IMHO. They're lighter and don't rust. I worked in Virginia for 18 years and my Felker is about 16 years old. No breaks and no chipping. Worked in below zero jobs (OK...I did use a heater) and never a problem. Sure, the Target has a larger water capacity but that was never really a problem. You want a Target? Get the stainless steel tray.....at least no rust!

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase