Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-04-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
James_Pospischil

Ditra heat

My first floor is a slab and we are considering installing ditra heat under tile in min living room area but not adjoining foyer. Can a heated are butt up to a unheated area? Same tile throughout. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Unread 02-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Hi James, welcome.

Ditra Heat mat is 1/4" or 5/16", depending on which you choose. So if you installed Ditra Heat mat only in one area you'd have a 1/4" or 5/16" difference between the two areas.

Since you are working on a slab you cannot really install 1/4" cement backer board in the unheated area to make up the difference so you'd have to install the heat mat in all areas.

You'd have the same issue with any floor warming product.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
James_Pospischil

Was planning on putting the Matt throughout. Main concern is cold butting up to heated area. I am a drywall contractor and have a fear of temperature differences and cracks. Lol. Thanks for your help

Last edited by cx; 03-20-2020 at 05:38 PM.
James_Pospischil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #4
ss3964spd

Won't be a problem, James.
Unread 02-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #5
D & D Reno

Although it sounds like a valid concern, it is fairly common to not heat an entire room. Especially in bathrooms. We just went back to a bathroom last week we did two years ago that had in floor heat in part of it. There was no cracking. If your really concerned, you could put an expansion joint (ex: Schluter Dilex) for the grout line where is ends.
Unread 02-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
James_Pospischil

Thanks guys . I appreciate the feedback. Just crossing my ts before we make the commitment

Unread 02-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
ss3964spd

You might consider the 5/16" version, James, less heat going into the slab.
Unread 02-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

As mentioned, Schuster makes a version of Ditra with a thicker fleece that acts as a thermal break that would be a good idea over your slab.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2020, 04:36 PM   #9
James_Pospischil

Ok moving forward after demo,grinding a d drywall install is now done. Any recommendations for thinset on concrete under ditra and should I use the same on top of mat/under tile? Thanks in advance, this forum is great.

Unread 03-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #10
Gozo

Most thinset mortars get along well with concrete. Something like Versabond would fine. Be sure to get ALL of the dust from grinding off the concrete. Vacuum and wash at least.
One thing to consider since its a big area, is that you may want to go with 2 parallel heating wires vs. one long one (they may not make one to cover that area in the 120V wire), or going to a 240V service. Also, try to get the temperature sensor close to the center of the area, but out of where the sun will shine on it in the winter. Otherwise you’ll have where the sun hits warm and the rest of the floor icy under foot.
Mix the mortar a bit loose/soft (not runny) so it gets well embedded into the fibers on the back of the DitraHeat. Softer than you’d use for tile as you can’t really backbutter Ditra.
Unread 03-20-2020, 05:22 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Along with many others here, I've used Versabond for both below and above the Ditra. If you're using a large format tile, Versabond LFT is available for bonding the tiles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
James_Pospischil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozo View Post
Most thinset mortars get along well with concrete. Something like Versabond would fine. Be sure to get ALL of the dust from grinding off the concrete. Vacuum and wash at least.

One thing to consider since its a big area, is that you may want to go with 2 parallel heating wires vs. one long one (they may not make one to cover that area in the 120V wire), or going to a 240V service. Also, try to get the temperature sensor close to the center of the area, but out of where the sun will shine on it in the winter. Otherwise you’ll have where the sun hits warm and the rest of the floor icy under foot.

Mix the mortar a bit loose/soft (not runny) so it gets well embedded into the fibers on the back of the DitraHeat. Softer than you’d use for tile as you can’t really backbutter Ditra.
Thanks for input. Have it wired for 240 . Will definitely wash floor down with water and sponge before install. Have vacuumed about 10 times already. Is it just regular unmodified versa?

Unread 03-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Versabond is modified.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #14
James_Pospischil

?

Unread 03-20-2020, 06:24 PM   #15