Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #31
Husky546

And dan this is somthing I have done over the summer when a basement would be at its most humid. Left the sheet for a week or so and had zero accumulation under the plastic. Previous owner also installed carpet with a pad directly on the concrete that was also totally dry when removed with no sign of mold or moisture. I can also see some of the baseplates that were installed when the house was originally built (under the stairway etc) these also look to be in fine shape 60 years later and actually test lower with a moisture meter than the new lumber I bought and installed from
Menards
Unread 01-31-2020, 09:27 AM   #32
speed51133

that does not make sense. i thought this was a basement? the floor joists would be the ceiling then. we are talking about roofing felt UNDER the FLOOR plate for these new walls.
Unread 01-31-2020, 09:58 AM   #33
Husky546

New walls are screwed into the floor joists of the floor above me so basement ceiling if you will. Because the floor is not totally flat and varies some the wall is just off of the floor in most places 1/8 inch or so. Which in turn would allow me to slide some thin roofing material on the underside of the wall. Will it be perfect probably not but it’s better than nothing
Unread 01-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #34
speed51133

your wall is suspended from the ceiling and not fastened to the floor at all???
Unread 01-31-2020, 10:12 AM   #35
Husky546

I have ram set nails in the bottom every so many feet so it is secured to the floor. But I still have a tiny amount of space at the bottom between the nails I could slide some material in. If you zoom in on the photo on page two you may be able to see what I’m talking about on the back wall but it may be to far out I also have some blocking between some of the studs which also allowed my to Ram set it to the concrete wall as well

If it’s too hard to see I can grab some pictures tonight to show what I’m talking about
Unread 01-31-2020, 10:16 AM   #36
speed51133

no, that's fine. you sound all-good. sorry to go off on a tangent.
Unread 01-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #37
Husky546

All good this set up is super hard to explain and ended up being framed very odd due to having to build around some plumbing and other obstacles I wasn’t able to move. But anyways assuming I can get something slid underneath is that a worth while investment in your opinion?
Unread 01-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #38
Husky546

I guess a better way to explain it would be to say it’s built like you would if you were to fur out the wall with strips (with modification) with a base plate added in. So essentially the baseplate isn’t even really needed but I threw it in anyways
Unread 01-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #39
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
If you've already tested it, Nick, and it came up dry, I'd not bother or worry.

I'm in NoVa, and have a full basement with poured concrete walls and the slab is about 6.5' below grade. Have never had a water issue and has never smelled moldy.

Carry on.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2020, 12:12 PM   #40
Husky546

Is your basement finished? It sounds like we are in similar climates with similar setups
Unread 01-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #41
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I did the basement from scratch at least 12 years ago, Nick, plumbing, framing, electrical, drywall, on and on.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #42
Husky546

Shower curb help

Looking for some advice on building a shower curb. To precursor the discussion I am in a basement (cement floor). The shower itself is a neo Angle style with half walls. So the shower curb is relatively small between the two neo angle walls (30 inches or so) Shower is also a non standard size so I plan on using a membrane liner.

With that being said I’m looking for how to build the curb. I have heard lots of guys say they use bricks for the curb but my question is how do I get the liner up over the curb if I do it this way. I have heard others say they just stack 2x4s and fold the liner up over the curb then mortor over the top with some of that flexible diamond grate underneath. (Same style as a curb on an upstairs shower but with a tested baseplate)

A friend of mine even suggested pouring solid concrete with the liner embedded into the poured curb. Although I can’t comprehend how you would ever maintain any sort of uniformity with the liner doing it this way

Hoping someone who knows what they are doing can steer me in the right direction or maybe even provide me with a good YouTube link
Unread 03-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #43
Kman

Hello, Nick. Someone moved this post over to your other thread. I was about to do that myself. It helps if we have more details on your project, so we don't have to rehash what we've already done in another thread.

You have dimensional lumber down now for the framing of the curb, correct?

If so, I'd fold the liner over that and patch any cuts at the corners. Secure the liner to the outside of the curb only with some staples.

I'll stop there and we'll get you that far before moving forward.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2020, 11:54 AM   #44
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nick, I've combined your new thread with your original project thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one. I'm also still not seeing your geographic location in your Profile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Shower is also a non standard size so I plan on using a membrane liner.
Not understanding what you mean there. Are you planning a traditional mud/liner/mud shower receptor or are you planning a direct bonded waterproofing membrane?

In your earlier photo you already have a wood curb in place. Have you removed that curb?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #45
Husky546

Yes I’m talking mud/liner/mud I guess I just don’t know the terms for stuff. And yes I still have the wooden curb down from the original picture. It was put in more as a baseplate that both walls could be built on so things would stay rigid as the lumber dried and possibly cut out later. With that being said if I am use it that would be great.

Only reason I was questioning building a curb this way was I have heard people talking about not using wood because it can rot out when used in a basement setting.But maybe this is referring to someone who would do somthing dumb like not use a liner and try to encase the wood with cement board?

Anyways if you guys think I can safely build a curb with wood and wrap it over with a liner and not worry about it rotting out that would be easiest.

Also if someone can walk me through setting up my geo profile that would be awesome

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase