Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
tstex

Tumbled Outdoor Travertine Questions

Hello to All,

This is my first post. Looks like a great forum - your help is appreciated.

We have tumbled travertine installed in a Versailles pattern around pool and outside kitchen area. It is an ivory/off white color and with a lot of moisture in West Houston, there has begun some staining of dark colors in the pitted areas, which I am sure it mold.

When the contractors installed the plaster/pebblesheen, I came home and a guy was using a power washer to "wash off" any plaster residue from areas around the pool. The idiot was using a power-washer that was 3500psi, thus blowing out all of the natural material in the travertine decking. This is the softer material that is formed in the crevices and smaller holes of the tumbled travertine. I immediately stopped him and you can see the differences in the stone that was blasted and the stone that was not. Some larger holes and other are now forming dark mold. Location: Houston, TX. Original install date. Nov of 2014

My goals are as follows:

1. Properly clean the entire area and remove mold and other loose debris [Is there a none harsh, not acid based chemical that can help w this and what method would you recommend?

2. Once the surface and holes are all cleaned-out and now pristine again, what can I use to fill the larger holes that will match as close a possible to the travertine, and if it weathers, they both weather the same [filled-hole and travertine]?

Once (2) above is done, is there anything else you recommend? I do not want to seal the stone except the coping. I do not mind an annual cleaning of a light power-washing or other.

Lastly, some of the polymeric sand used has turned dark and moldy. What do you suggest I do for these areas? This is mainly where the travertine pavers are butted-up to house/foundation.

I am looking at 500sqft near the pool which 1/2 was blasted. Another 700sqft to clean that is in a covered & transition area. I just want to clean this and fill a few natural holes that are too large and keep getting debris in them.

if you have any questions, pls let me know? The pool water is CL based, not salt for the obvious reasons.

Thank you very much

Regards,
Unread 02-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
stu rosen

Hey Tom
Pics would help us help you better.
You may want to consider hiring a pro to fill your travertine.
They should have the knowledge to use the right products and be able to remove excess residue so the fills are flat.
For the tumbled trav I would use a mixture of grout and latex and overfill the holes. If you aren't concerned with shrinking then you can fill the holes and sponge of the excess.
There are different methods and approaches.
If you think you have mold in the stone you can clean it out with bleach(it wont hurt the stone).
The rest of the surface can be cleaned with a alkaline cleaner.
I dont know too much about polymeric sand but a good cleaning and adding more sand may work.
Unread 02-06-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
tstex

Thank you very much Stu - When I get back to the Casa, I'll take some pic's.

I saved a bunch of the cut/excess pieces of the travertine pavers in all sizes, plus I bought about an extra 100 sqft that is from the same installed lot incase I need future replacements.

W some of the cut excess pieces that have similar holes, I was going to experiment and document/label each method and determine my level of satisfaction on each one. this way I can get a feel to determine what is involved and what results I get, then x's that by the number of holes I need to fix, then I have my wk-load. I can also post those pics as well, but right now I do not have all the material recommendations yet. As soon as I have about 3-4 diff options, then I'll start testing.

Thanks again Stu, and pic's forthcoming.

Regards,
tom
Unread 02-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
tstex

Sanded vs non-sanded grout ?

Hello to all,

I've come to the realization that the only tumbled-travertine filler I could find that was spec'ed for outside usage is grout. We have over 1275 sqft of tumbled travertine outside: 500 near the pool as decking, 775 as transition from pool and covered outdoor kitchen. This was installed approx. Nov/14 and it's a CL-based water.

Some of the holes in the travertine are large enough that I want to fill them so dirt, debris and other stays out, bc it darkens w mold and holds water. The polymeric sand that was "tossed-out" by the orig installer looks poor, and it too has become dark, as well as where the pavers butt-up to the foundation.

I am aware of the std rule of grout lines 1/8 or less, use unsanded, esp for tile/stones that could be scratched by the sand in sanded grout. Since many of these holes are much larger than 1/8", here are a few questions:

1. Is there a finer or smaller granule-based sanded grout that has the strength of reg sanded grout, but will look and feel smother in its appearance?

2. I am not going to seal the outside travertine except the coping, but if I do not seal the grout-filled holes, will they turn dark w debris and mold over time? If so, what sealer is recommended to last the longest and work the best? At this point, the cost becomes less an issue bc it's my labor [and knees/back] that I am trying to minimize regarding more frequent sealings.

The tumbled travertine is a lighter off-white color, so finding a good color should not be a problem. I have some scrap pieces w holes that I'll do first, then see how they look after they fully cure, both w.out and w a sealer if recommended. We live in West Houston so no issue w freezes/expansion.

Thank you very much for your help and advice, it is greatly appreciated.

regards, tom
Unread 02-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #5
mistyinca
Never again!

We had a tumbled stone backsplash in my previous residence, and it was filled and grouted with sanded grout (buttercream). I think it looked pretty smooth. It was not then polished into travertine, but that was why we'd chosed tumbled stone over travertine anyway...

never. again.
mistyinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Tom, I've combined your new thread here for continuity so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can move the thread to the Advice forum if you'd prefer it there.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
tstex

Thx Misty & Thx CX for linking the two threads..hope I can come to a conclusion soon,..I'll take some pics when I get back into town...Appreciate everyones feedback. Tom
Unread 02-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
tstex

time for fix travertine tiles

Hello to All,

Figured out that the efflorescence on our travertine is from the travertine coping above and probably the thinset used to install it. We have had 8-10" rains before and no problem. But, when you have 40-50" of rain from a hurricane, all the rules are gone. My goal is to seal the vertical tiles and all the coping and tops of the walls, spa and pool.

Enclosed is a pic of the efflorescence. I am looking for solutions on how to prep, remove and restore/seal the travertine tiles. we have all travertine and any acid or acid based products will etch and ruin the stone.

Any and all specific products makes/models and tools needed and any detailed processes would be very much appreciated. Since I'll be working right by the pool waterlines, I'm sure whatever I do will be falling into the water.

Also, about 1350 sq ft of pool decking and covered summer kitchen area is travertine too. Need to clean the these tiles of mold, dirt and other, but I am not going to seal. Any specific recommendations on this would be appreciated too.

Enclosed are 2 pics of the pool ...thank you, tstex

PS - sorry the pics are not in the correct perspective
Attached Images

Unread 02-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #9
CaliGrown

Get in touch with a pool service company, they can come out and get the waterline tile looking good. As far as sealer, once you seal once you will have to seal again and again to maintain the surface. We’ve done lots of travertine for decking and coping, it cleans up well with a pool bristle brush (make sure there’s no metal strands in the brush though). As said before once you seal you will have to keep sealing, we’ve found that sealing exterior work will only last from a few months to a year before it has to be redone, might just be the California Sun though.
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #10
tstex

Thanks, but I'm seeking advice on how to do this myself...tstex
Unread 03-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #11
tstex

$50 gift certificate who finds solution

Hello to All,

Problem
We have 1285 sqft of tumbled travertine stone pavers outside next to pool. W all
the hurricane rains and debris pushed into the crevices, mold has penetrated.
See pics

What I've already done
- 1/2 cup of ammonia to 1 gallon of very hot water, little dish soap. Dipped 1 ft stiff long handle
bristled brush into solution, and scrubbed three times...barely any results

-1 cup of bleach [which I know is a no-no] into 1.5 gal of very hot water, w
comet power, some dish soap, agitated and scrubbed vigorously.
see after pic and w close up

Solution ?Cannot use any acids and I was
already pushing the envelop w using bleach...did it in a remote place...last few picture is what I did this morning w both of the above processes...still mold.

Anyone that comes us w a solution I will gladly send you a $50 gift certificate. I have not hired anyone, but had a pro bring out his solution, he used it and it did nothing better. Very well known in the industry.

In the last pic, is there anything effective I can use to fill these voids if I used power-washer first remove?

I would certainly appreciate your help, thank you - tstex
Attached Images

Unread 03-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #12
Kman

Tear it all out and replace it.

I'll send you my mailing address.

Have you tried a pressure washer? Is the area flat? I'm not sure you're going to get rid of everything.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2018, 12:11 AM   #13
houndzilla

Can hydrogen peroxide be used?
Unread 03-25-2018, 01:37 AM   #14
andre.g1

Sandblast and reseal with thick wet look stone enhancer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unread 03-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Which ever solution you use, let it dwell on the surface for 10-15 minutes, then scrub and rinse. I like the power washer idea. I agree that you probably won't get it all out.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase