Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
iltractor

Ditra small uneven- ness

Hello -
I am new to this site but recently installed the ditra xl and 20 " tiles in my kitchen. I was able to tear out and get the floor level and install the Ditra membrane fairly even and smoothly. When I laid my tile some of the tiles I noticed are up about 1/16" or slightly more than others. I am not sure if this is the tile or did we use too much thinset. It was really hard to pick up the tiles off of the Ditra as we spread the thinset and backbuttered each individual tile. Overall I am happy with the job but I was curious if I will have problems with the un- even tiles - after grouting.

my Question is should I tear out the tiles that are uneven or should I leave them and grout them as they are hoping the grout will take care of the height difference. If I should tear them out any specifics on how to do this with Ditra without damaging the membrane or other tiles?

Appreciate the feedback.

Randy
Unread 11-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
bbcamp

Randy, grout will not make your tile lippage issue go away. It may make it less noticeable, depending on your grout line width. Assuming you have nearly 100% thinset coverage (especially at the corners), the lippage will not cause the tile to crack or come up, but it may be a toe catcher. If you decide to reset the tile, and you only very recently installed them, it may be possible to pry up the offending tiles without damageing the neighbors. Cut the Ditra with a utility knife, then slip a prying tool in. Pad the neighboring tile with something to prevent chipping. In some cases, deliberately breaking the offending tile is prefferable to cracking a perfectly set one. One such case is when the grout line is too thin to get a pry tool into place. Hopefully, you have access to a couple of spare tiles. To replace the tile, clean the subfloor of any remaining thinset and Ditra fuzz, then cut a piece of Ditra and install it as usual. Ditra can be butted together and you don't need to overlap or cover with Kerdi-band unless you were waterproofing this floor. If you were, seal the butt joint with Kerdi-fix. Install the new tile as before, but with less lippage this time.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
iltractor

Thanks Bob for the reply.

I was really hoping to not tear out the tile.

My grout lines are 1/8 thick and I know the tiles are down very well so they will be a #$%&*! to tear up if needed. I do have a few extra tiles and Ditra so I guess I will be examining my options this evening before I decide to grout the tiles. I agree they may just be a toe kicker with barefoot or socks vs an issue but I was hoping the grout lines could help with this.

Any advantage or disadavantage to waiting a little while to see if it is a problem before tearing it up? I know I will need to re-grout if I decide to do this after I grout.

Randy
Unread 11-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
bbcamp

The longer you wait, the harder the grout and thinset become. You also risk the repair being more visible due to grout color variation.

1/8" wide grout lines can't hide much lippage. The maximum acceptable lippage for porcelain tiles with 1/8" joints is 1/32". Yours is at least twice as much. You could certainly grout and live with it a while.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase