Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
sctclimbs1

shower slope problem

I pulled out my tub and redid that space for a walk in shower. I bought a presloped base that I could tile over and did kerdi on the floor and walls. Sadly I just assumed the slope would be fine but after tiling water pools in the back. Kept the drain hole on the opposite end where it was originally for the tub. The slope is fine from a little past the middle of the shower to the drain. I need to raise the back end of the shower about 1/2 to 3/8 inches and slope that bout 16-20 inches until the slope is good from there. I pulled up the tile on the rear past of the tile without damaging the kerdi. Can I lay a slope of sand toping mix to fix the slope?
If so, should I put another layer of kerdi over that. I wont be able to seal the edges again though without pulling the wall tile.
THoughts?
sctclimbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-31-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Not poking a hole in Kerdi and getting thinset to have something to bond to are two different things! How much fleece is left? That's what bonds the thinset to the tile...the mechanical interlocking of the thinset flowing around the fleece, then curing.

If you used one of the preformed pans, and it has drainage issues, it sounds like your subflooring was not level first.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Scott. (I fixed your signature line)

You may be able to do as you're suggesting if you have not defeated the waterproofing of your existing Kerdi membrane, but it won't correct the actual problem. You can make the tiled floor slope properly to the drain, but you won't be able to make the waterproofing layer slope properly to the drain and water will still collect where it now pools and last a very long time there. Might be a bigger problem than you already have. Might not.

Adding another layer of Kerdi would exacerbate that problem and I would recommend you not do that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
the sub-floor not being level and the fact that some of these bases do not provide the Minimum required slope of 1/4" pf(2%) can be a problem. The slope should be measured from the farthest point --The corners.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase