Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #1
rgnprof

Replacing walk-in shower

Good morning folks,

My first post here and I have a question about my upcoming project. I have some tiling experience so not a newbie, but my understanding of shower pans is limited. My house is built on a concrete slab, in the mid 70s, although this shower was remodeled by the previous owners - probably about 20 years ago.

I am getting ready to completely tear down my walk-in shower - will be replacing all the tile and the wall board, but my question is about the floor. Currently I have mosaic tile on the floor - can I just tear out the tile and replace with new tile or will I need to tear all the way down to the concrete floor and start all over? I don't really know what to expect as far as what's under the floor tile and I have been reading and planning to replace the entire shower pan (been leaning to the Noble Pro-Slope with the choraloy pan liner)...but if I don't absolutely have to go this far, I am interested in some options.

Thank you in advance.

ryan
Unread 04-01-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Ryan.

I would not consider replacing a shower of any age without replacing the receptor, regardless the waterproofing method you elect to use.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
rgnprof

Thank you for the quick response. Figured that would be the answer, so I am planning on replacing the floor (receptor - never heard it called that).

I am just a bit leery of doing the floor as I've never done it before, but I've been reading a lot and watching some videos. I know there are many options, but can you make a recommendation?

My shower is 42" x 44" and I saw that the Noble Pro-Slope comes in a 60" x 60", so I could easily cut it to size. But, this is a bit pricey and I don't know enough about options...I know I'm no expert at 'mudding' mortar, so getting the slope right is of concern.

I appreciate any help offered!

Thanks, Ryan
Unread 04-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Really hard to recommend anything at this point, Ryan, the best way forward may not be clear until you finish demo to see what you currently have.

One thing you can do that might offer some clues is to remove the shower drain grate and post a clear close up photo of the drain assembly itself. Seeing the type of drain might offer some insights on how the current receptor was built.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #5
rgnprof

Ok - I took a couple of pics. One shows the crusty stuff that has accumulated over several grout lines...
Attached Images

Unread 04-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
rgnprof

Any thoughts?
Unread 04-02-2020, 06:03 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's hard to say but I'd guess that the weep holes are blocked with cement, or there's no preslope under the pan liner or the cement used on the floor was too hard and dense for the water to flow thru it. Or, maybe all three, who knows.

There are different methods you can go back with. They all work if done correctly. You can check out the "shower construction info" thread in the liberry for starters.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase