Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #76
Husky546

I think maybe I misunderstood the caution of using wood as a curb then. I figured wrapping the liner over the wood was the only way it could be done and that’s what people were cautioning. Didn’t even know a surface liner existed until recently.... guess I’ll just leave it alone then since this has been a pay as you play project and the shower has been framed for over a year. I think things are as dry as they are gunna get and any movement from drying should have already happened
Unread 03-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #77
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The only picture I'm seeing of your shower is in post 18. Has anything changed or is it still like that?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #78
Husky546

Framing wise it’s all the same I got tied up re wiring and re plumbing the house. But I’m finally at the stage where my drywall is hung and putting in the floor pan hanging cement board will be this weeks project. So still early enough to make changes at least for this week
Unread 03-31-2020, 06:03 PM   #79
Husky546

Wet shimming

I happy to report the project is moving again and I have actually made some headway. I started hanging cement board today and found i have found a few places I need shims. Got pretty close using lath but I could be almost perfect with a bit of wet shimming. I know a buddy of mine used Kerri and told me this method as approved for this material. Does anyone know or have expierecne regarding how this works for cement board or if it works at all? I only need to make up a little bit where a piece of lath was too thick to work. 1/4 or less
Unread 03-31-2020, 07:57 PM   #80
cx
Moderator emeritus

Don't even consider it, Nick.

You can likely get some drywall shims at your local home center. Cardboard strips about 1 1/2" wide and usually 3 or 4-foot sections. They're about 1/16ths" thick.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2020, 08:21 PM   #81
Husky546

That's about the thickness would need. Is there a concern about compression with them being cardboard?
Unread 03-31-2020, 08:29 PM   #82
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not really. More the consistency of the back of a writing tablet. Firm enough for the application. If you've got some roofing felt laying about, I've used that for shims in similar applications, too. Fold it as many times as you need for the correct thickness.

Unread 04-16-2020, 03:26 PM   #83
Husky546

finally got some work in now that I’m stuck at home and now that the ceiling is in and the reinforcing is done I’m getting ready to pour my curb. Since my shower is angled I don’t have a back wall to square up to. So my plan is to use some scrap Durock and screw it to the walls by the curb to use as a guide to screed off of to ensure good fitment with the backer board.

I’m also considering adding 1/4 inch plywood over the studs under the Durock so I could have 3/4 inch in my curb versus a half. Looking for some opinions on the plywood idea. I don’t want to create some sort of moisture issue having plywood under Durock.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Last edited by Husky546; 04-17-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Husky546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #84
Husky546

Last edited by Husky546; 04-17-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Husky546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2020, 06:59 AM   #85
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Not sure I entirely understand, Nick, where you're thinking the 1/4" ply will go or be useful.

Appears you have benches along both "back" walls. I assume you'll be fastening CBU to the tops and front of the benches, and covering the rest of your framing with CBU also. Once all the CBU is installed you can then mark it around the entire perimeter for the height you want, and use those marks for screeding.

Are those bench tops sloped towards the drain?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2020, 07:20 AM   #86
Husky546

The benches are sloped towards the drain and they have 5/8 plywood on them now and will be covered with Durock and then a surface membrane.

When I say 1/4 plywood I’m referring to the walls near my curb. If you can see in the pictures being my curb is between two walls the thickness of the curb sides is limited to the width of the cement board used on the walls. The thickness I have is 1/2 cement board and adding the plywood before the cement board on my walls would allow the curb sides to be 3/4 thick instead of a half.

With that being said I have never constructed a curb with path and fat mud so maybe 1/2 sides are plenty. Just seemed thin to me
Unread 04-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #87
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nick, you can pad out your walls if you want, but you'll find 1/4" plywood difficult to make flat over your framing. I have done what you're suggesting using 3/8ths" plywood, but prefer 1/2" where possible. You may find just using rips of that plywood to fur out the framing to work better.

You could also cut down your curb framing to allow more room for mud if you need it, but you should be able to to mud the front and back of the curb with 1/2" of fat mud with no problem if you keep your liner and metal lath tight to the framing.

Unread 04-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #88
Husky546

I have the lath fitted and it’s snugged right to the curb. I guess I was more worried about the structural integrity of a half inch or worried about it being to thin and breaking. (I’m a welder..... don’t know anything about cement).

But if you guys think half inch won’t cause issues I’m just gunna work with it and not over complicate things
Unread 04-18-2020, 03:16 PM   #89
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Nail or staple the lath on the outside of the curb only. Sounds like you have over bent it so it fits snug. Wall mud is much more dense, strong and harder than deck mud so 1/2 inch thick is fine. Sometimes we may make it closer to 3/4 thick if we need to.

If I'm using bullnose (sometimes BN that measures 2 3/4 x 12) on top of the curb facing each direction, sometimes I'll mud the curb width so they fit without cutting them. But many times you have no choice on the width of the curb, depends on the situation.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2020, 04:01 PM   #90
Husky546

All stapled in. Top of the curb is granite to match the benches and the front and back will be the same tile as the wall so they will have to match up. But I’m glad to hear I should be good to go with what I got. I’ll try to get some actual pictures when I get a little further..... up to this point it’s been lots of reinforcing, making sure things are level, changing lights to be waterproof, figuring out how to assemble my spaceship of a valve , moving the drain (again) etc

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase