Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-31-2019, 02:41 PM   #31
tstex

Thank you CX...the original install was done by a contractor...I am not aware of what he used.

My question(s) for seeking advice is to determine not only what polymetric sand should be used, but perhaps in 4-5 yrs maybe a product was developed that is much better than originally used.

My philosophy is that I would rather pay twice the cost for something better and it last twice as long, thus skipping one labor session.

So, looking for a crevice filler btw travertine pavers and the corners, then something for filling holes inside the pavers...

Thanks again, tom
Unread 03-31-2019, 02:53 PM   #32
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, if you can no longer contact the original contractor for that information, I'd recommend your next step would be to contact a few of the tile setting product manufacturers for a recommendation.

Easiest way to start that would be to click on the three such links at the sides of this page. They each have a technical services number listed and you can usually get good information there. A couple of them even have reps who are members here and you can give them a link to this thread.

I'll see can I alert a couple of'em.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2019, 03:04 PM   #33
tstex

Thanks CX and for all the posts combined, which I have all just re-read.

The travertine is very clean right now after killing mold and power-washing. Now it's time to fill holes while all the substrates are extra clean. Yes, I will contact the folks you recommended, or if you can post a link to this thread w them that would be great. The travertine overall has held up very well, but we've had lots of rain, lots of cool cloudy days and that's promoted mold growth.

look forward to getting these projects completed asap, weather pending.

thanks again,
tom
Unread 04-01-2019, 07:15 AM   #34
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Tom,

We're not in the biz of polymeric sand, and my knowledge of that type of product is limited, so I'll stick to what I know; grout.

From the pictures it looks like some of those paver joints are touching, so I don't think a cement grout would be the product to use in re-filling them everywhere. The wider areas, however, could be filled with something like our Ultracolor Plus FA which can handle joints up to 3/4" (and as narrow as 1/16"). This grout can also be used to fill in the voids in the surface of the travertine.

If you want to go with the polymeric sand, I'd ring up a few of those manufacturers and get their take. Be sure to mention how tight some of those areas get, as they may have a finer sand blend to use in those spots.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #35
tstex

Thank you Holden - Yes, the landscape is diverse w some very light areas and some wider btw pavers, then open areas w in the pavers...I appreciate your follow up and candidness...regards, tom
Unread 04-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #36
speed51133

polymeric sand = sand that has polymers in it that bind the granules together.

polymetric sand = sand that exhibits, involves, or employs a variety of meters.

If you really want to save the travertine from getting moldy, you have to clean it very well, dry it very well, then press in a uv stable epoxy or an outdoor rated grout into all the nooks/pits/voids/gaps/etc...
Unread 04-04-2019, 12:43 PM   #37
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Quote:
We're not in the biz of polymeric sand, and my knowledge of that type of product is limited, so I'll stick to what I know; grout.

From the pictures it looks like some of those paver joints are touching, so I don't think a cement grout would be the product to use in re-filling them everywhere.

Sharon@LATICRETE
www.laticrete.com
Sharon @ LATICRETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2019, 03:42 PM   #38
tstex

Holden,

Few questions:

Can your Ultracolor Plus FA be installed outside where sun/UV/pollen and mold will be quite prevalent?

Does the Ultracolor Plus FA have to be grouted in w trowel, or can it be applied into the smaller joints dry and then apply water in a 3-phase like process to activate the binders in the sand?

finally, if it can be applied outside, do you have to seal it? if not, what is the useful life of the grout?

Also, our pool water is CL based, not salt...

Thanks again and thanks for your reply Sharon,
tom
Unread 04-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #39
tstex

Sharon,

The installation process for the pavers were:

-Remove and dig out 10 inches of soil
-Compact 8 inches of concrete binding aggregate stone
-Smooth out 2 inches of sand and Portland cement combo mix
-Polymetric sand spread on top, compacted into cracks/holes, top wetted repeatedly
-All formed in by 4 inch thick concrete border around the entire perimeter

To date since Nov 2014, not one paver in 1385 sq ft have shifted, sunk, broke or other...

Hope this helps, tom
Unread 04-05-2019, 06:08 AM   #40
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Quote:
Sharon,

The installation process for the pavers were:

-Remove and dig out 10 inches of soil
-Compact 8 inches of concrete binding aggregate stone
-Smooth out 2 inches of sand and Portland cement combo mix
-Polymetric sand spread on top, compacted into cracks/holes, top wetted repeatedly
-All formed in by 4 inch thick concrete border around the entire perimeter

To date since Nov 2014, not one paver in 1385 sq ft have shifted, sunk, broke or other...

Hope this helps, tom
Hi Tom - I understand you spoke to our tech team yesterday and unfortunately LATICRETE does not offer a solution for this. Just for everyone else's reference they had recommended Tom look into Traverfill … and contact Techniseal for a polymeric sand … they make a high humidity sand …
Unread 04-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #41
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstex
Holden,

Few questions:

Can your Ultracolor Plus FA be installed outside where sun/UV/pollen and mold will be quite prevalent?

Does the Ultracolor Plus FA have to be grouted in w trowel, or can it be applied into the smaller joints dry and then apply water in a 3-phase like process to activate the binders in the sand?

finally, if it can be applied outside, do you have to seal it? if not, what is the useful life of the grout?

Also, our pool water is CL based, not salt...
Hey Tom,

Since you asked, I'll go ahead and answer the specific questions, but from the looks of it you may need to head towards the products Sharon and her team suggested for best results.
  1. Yes, Ultracolor Plus FA is perfectly suitable in these conditions
  2. This product is designed to be packed tightly into the joint with a trowel. Placing it in by hand likely wont work the way you want it to unfortunately.
  3. No sealing is required, but you certainly can if you want! In normal conditions, this product can last decades for sure, but estimating the life of a grout is a tricky one, especially outside and near a pool. Plus considering these are sand-set pavers with joints that go from an acceptable width down to nothing, and back again, I couldn't say with any certainty.

Hopefully that helps!

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase