Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Shanehaz

Kerdi/flextile wp-980

Ok so i've started my first shower and i'm a little concerned. Too much conflicting information from different people. I've installed kerdi on the floor and the bottom 30" or so. Then I installed flextile wp-980 over the top half of the shower (over denshield). I also painted the corners of the kerdi with the flextile liquid, which I probably shouldn't have. (I did use the kerdi corners and band as well) Kerdi calls for un-modified thinset while flextile calls for modified. Should I just use a lightly modified for the whole thing? Tiles are 1" x 2" porcelain on floor and 10" x 13" on the walls. I'm not concerned with warranty I just want the tiles to stick and it not to leak.
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Executive Flooring

Using something lightly modified (like Versabond) should work fine
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
Shanehaz

Picture
Attached Images

Unread 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Shane, welcome to the forum. Wow, that's.....uh....colorful.

I see you have Denssheild on the upper half. What about the lower that's covered by Kerdi, what is the substrate there? What thinset did you use to install the Kerdi, KerdiBand, and corners?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Shanehaz

Denshield lower half as well. Hardibacker over 2x4's for the curb. Kerdi was applied with premium plus non modified thinset.
Unread 11-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Shanehaz

You should've seen how colorful it was before the flextile dried. Orange and purple. Lol
Unread 11-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Shanehaz

From flextile....Ceramic tile or stone must be installed using one of the following Flextile Latex Portland Cement Mortar systems (ANSI A118.4-1992): Flextile #52 Versatile, #51 or #53 Thin-Set Mortar mixed full strength with #43 Acrylic Mortar Additive or #44 High Solids Acrylic Mortar Additive
Unread 11-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
bbcamp

If you use that mortar system on the Kerdi sections to set your 10x13 inch tiles, expect a very long drying process.

I'm curious about the corners. Does the Kerdi overlap? If not, did you use reinforcing fabric in the liquid waterproofer?

I'm even more curious about why you chose this hyprid combination.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
Shanehaz

yes the kerdi overlaps on the bottom with the Kerdi band and kerdi corners under ther Kerdi. The top has the reinforcing fabric in the liquid.

I had someone give me the liquid and wasn't fully confident using it. After doing some research I decided on going with the Kerdi system. I was just going to do it on the bottom half and figured the denshield woulkd be fine for the top. Since I had the liquid I was told why not put that on the top half of the walls. Why I painted the seams on the bottom half....I'm not sure, I was a little concerned that maybe I pressed too much thinset out as some of the edges wern't the most solid (maybe 1/4" lifting in a few spots). I'm sure it would have been fine as I had the 2" overlap. Maybe if I didn't paint the corners and edges I could use modified on the top and un-modifed on the bottom, or maybe I can still do that??? or should I just use versabond? Thanks for the advise!!
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
bbcamp

How long can you wait for modified thinset to dry under your tiles?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
Shanehaz

well, my wife will wait as long as she has to wait.....LOL

I'm in no rush
Unread 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Shanehaz

Here's what I'm debating between;

1. Use unmodified for the bottom half and modified for the top half. It's only about 2" in the corners of the liquid waterproofed. Hopefully that'll be fine.

2. Use modified for the whole thing and wait like a month before I grout.

I've heard of people doing 2 before but never 1. So am I best with the modified??

Thanks for the input

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase