Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 02-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
shortywz

Flexcolor CQ Discoloration

Hi all,

We had a reno done a while back and have two separate issues with the grout on floor tiles (MAPEI Flexcolor CQ). Our tile guy wasn't too helpful so I'm hoping someone here can provide some more information...

Issue #1 - Dry area discoloration
There are a couple of spots that appear to have an effervescence efflorescence sort of hazing happening, something that I understand isn't supposed to happen with this particular grout. Is there anything I can do to make these areas more similar in color to their neighbors? These are both in dry areas of the bathroom, and MAPEI everyday cleaner has had zero impact.

Issue #2 - Shower pan - soap scum?
I'm guessing this is dried soap scum - as with above, I have tried the MAPEI everyday cleaner with no change.

Weirdly enough, the entire vertical part of the shower is subway tile with the same grout and we have had zero issues with any of that - color is 100% consistent throughout.

Appreciate any thoughts here!

Last edited by shortywz; 02-07-2020 at 07:12 PM.
shortywz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
There are a couple of spots that appear to have an effervescence sort of hazing happening,
I think efflorescence is the word you're looking for there. And you say that's a dry area. One of the requirements for efflorescence to occur is the presence of moisture to carry salts to the surface. No moisture, no efflorescence even if the salts are present.

I think it very unlikely that efflorescence could occur from your Flexcolor CQ as it is an acrylic based product and contains no Portland cement or similar materials to provide the necessary salts. Is it possible for moisture to be traveling up through that type of grout and evaporating on the surface? I dunno, but I doubt it. Besides, you indicate it's a dry area.

Have you scratched the surface with a hard object to see if the true color lurks beneath the white deposits?

Have you tried cleaning the surface with a very stiff brush?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along to provide more helpful responses.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #3
shortywz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
efflorescence is the word you're looking for there
Yes... yes you're right, heh. Corrected in the main post

A couple clarifying points from my original post - the first two pictures have been like that since day 1 of the grout install (which was ~6 months ago). I'm honestly wondering if they got drywall dust into the grout before it cured in those areas.

I have tried using the 'everyday' cleaner applied via scrubbing with a... medium brush, maybe not a stiff brush per se as I'm a bit skittish about making things worse.

Last edited by shortywz; 02-07-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Unread 02-07-2020, 09:44 PM   #4
smifwal

Do you have any grout left from the original install? And since it was installed such a short time ago you may get a bucket of the same dye lot of not. Flexcolor will stick to itself if you were to dig some out and regrout the affected areas. I would start with "scratching" the surface and see if it is topical.
Unread 02-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
shortywz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smifwal
Do you have any grout left from the original install?
I do have approximately 1/4 tub left from the original that's been stored in our crawl space. What's the best method of "digging some out"? I'm a fairly confident DIY'er, but tile/grout has been something I've left to the 'pros' up until this point.

Good to know that it sticks to itself - I've seen that on marketing materials but wasn't sure if that was the actual case.

Last edited by shortywz; 02-07-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Unread 02-07-2020, 10:45 PM   #6
smifwal

https://www.google.com/search?q=grou...obile&ie=UTF-8

I wouldll mix your tub up before using, the acrylic will likely have rose to the top
Unread 02-13-2020, 02:28 PM   #7
t2jeff

How much grout would need to be removed and replaced with new grout?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase