Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #1
rosietheriveter93

Americast Cambridge tub question

I guess this is more of a bath tub choice question. We're remodeling a guest bath and now that I've got some of the old cement and wire mesh with tile off the walls I've discovered that the "studs" against the cement block walls are actually more like 1x4s. A ledger board is required with the tub I'm looking at and the instructions say to use "roofing nails" to secure it to the studs above the ledger board. Would a 1 1/4 inch nail or screw be long enough (most of the videos I've seen use screws with a large washer)? We don't have the space to build out 2x4 stud walls or the tub would stick out past the door of the bathroom. Should I consider a different tub with built in supports on the base and set in some type of mortar - although they also have to be secured to the studs... From what I've seen most baths seem to have drawbacks, but Americast sounds sturdier than most of the acrylic tubs available.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Liz, I'm not a big fan of acrylic tubs because they flex so much. Plumbers love them because they are light weight. But, I've tiled over many of them. Whichever tub you use, if possible you really want one that has a tub lip to tile over.

As far as the ledger board for the tub to rest on, you can drill thru the furring strips and into the concrete blocks and then use Tap-con screws.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

Not a plumber by any stretch of the imagination, but we did install several Americast tubs after the flood here. After that, I bought two for myself. They seem to be a good tub. Pretty sturdy, coated steel, I think.
Like Davy said about the ledger board with tapcons
Old 11-09-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Probably been ten years since I've handled one, but back in my building days I had good luck with the Americast tubs. Seemed pretty solid and I even installed one corner version with their proprietary add-on tiling flange and it worked out well. I recommend against such installations whenever possible, but the Americast version seemed useful.

May have dumbed them down in general by now, though, like so many other things.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

We recently tiled over 3 Americast tubs in one house, Cx. I'd say they are one of the better acrylic tubs made, maybe the best. I've found that acrylic tubs chip much easier than cast iron so we spend more time covering them.

I don't remember which brand acrylic tub it was on one job but it flexed so much that my silicone pulled loose within a couple weeks. No problems with cast iron, except to hear the plumbers cuss. Figured he would get over it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

I do love the cast iron ones. Not moving them in or out,though.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase