Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-28-2004, 05:18 AM   #1
The Smiths

Green marble tile on fireplace surround

Hello Experts!

We bought some lovely green marble tile to cover an outdated brick fireplace. I have a couple of questions though...

1. We're getting mixed messages about what to use for laying the tile. Can we use Thin-Set for this job? Or do we need to use an epoxy. (What's the issue here?)

2. We've put mortar down on the floor, but the fireplace walls are still brick. Is it okay to go right over the brick? Or should we prep that somehow?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
The Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-28-2004, 05:46 AM   #2
bbcamp

Welcome, Smiths!

Do a site search on green marble, I think we've recommended epoxy because of warping issues.

It's OK to go over brick that isn't painted, crumbly, or heavily dirty with soot and the dust of ages. A good soap and water cleaning with a wire brush will be a good start. Skim coat the brick with modified thinset to make a flat setting surface.

Bob
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 01:38 PM   #3
Rock polisher

yep, Im with Bob, use an epoxy.

Scenic City Stone Works Inc
"Finishing What Nature Started"
6026 Dayton blvd B
Chattanooga Tn 37415
423-595-3470
Rock polisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
KChurch1
Maintanence/Restoration Pro

We've seen a lot of efflorescence problems with green marbles even when epoxy is used for setting. I'm not an installer, but wouldn't a moisture vapor barrier be recommended just to be on the safe side? If so, which one is best for this application?
KChurch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 02:41 PM   #5
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
From my experience with Verdi Green marble you have to use white full flex thinset. And have to back butter or skim each piece before adhering it to the surface wall or floor which ever you are doing. What kind of stuff is on the fireplace now??? What about the harth????But Im sure some of the tile tossin gorus will be along to suggest what is best just my few cents worth dont know if Im rite or wrong we will see
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 03:37 PM   #6
Rock polisher

Being that its a fireplace i dont see moisture as an issue. the epoxy skimmed on the back would solve that issue as it is. Never see a problem arise in that situation except from heat or a leaking chimney. the latter can definitely present problems. Full coverage is needed or close to to help allleviate any problems with efflorescence in a wet area. We charge another $6-$10 a sq ft more for green marble installations because of the precarious nature of it and the problems tha rear up form time to time,.

Scenic City Stone Works Inc
"Finishing What Nature Started"
6026 Dayton blvd B
Chattanooga Tn 37415
423-595-3470
Rock polisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 04:17 PM   #7
The Smiths

Ahhh, I am definitely in the right place. You folks are awesome!

Can I *really* show my ignorance now and ask: What is it that happens with green marble tile if epoxy isn't used?

Many, many thanks for all the input. (Glad to hear more also!)
The Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 07:03 PM   #8
KChurch1
Maintanence/Restoration Pro

We tried to restore a green marble fireplace several months ago with an efflorescence problem (white mineral deposits and the start of spalling/blistering of the stone caused by moisture) that was installed in a home near the beach, on grade slab. It was sculpted solid slabs... sad to see the problem... wasn't much we could do. We tried many remedies and it did improve the problem slightly, but it's going to reappear... This is just a typical green marble problem we see here in So. Cal.
KChurch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2004, 07:03 PM   #9
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Sometimes the marble will warp. Years ago when Hulien Green was getting popular we used it on alot of fireplaces. The builder I worked for never wanted to pay for the epoxy, so I used thinset. I would ask him each time before installing it so I wouldn't be blamed in case of problems, he would say thinset, "haven't had any problems yet have we"? On the forth fireplace we had problems, the 12x12 curled about 1/8 inch, breaking bond. Funny thing is this happened in his own personal house.

These days I wouldn't even ask, if it's green marble it will be stuck with epoxy.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 11:31 AM   #10
sweetczz

Hardibacker

What's wrong with using hardibacker on the brick fireplace before setting the marble? I'm asking because this is what I plan to do.
sweetczz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 12:48 PM   #11
Mike2

Good morning Smith.

So how you plan to attach the Hardiboard to the old brick?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 02:08 PM   #12
sweetczz

hardibacker on brick

by using hardibacker screws, and a dewalt screwdriver
sweetczz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 03:14 PM   #13
Mike2

Excuse me Smith. I now see we have two threads going on here. Actually just one thread with multiple personalities.

Now back to you czz, welcome to the forum by the way.

Humm, just pewt a regular 'ol Hardibacker screw right into that hard brick eh? I must be missing sumthing which is most likely the case but I just don't see how you gonna do that. Nope, I really don't. Maybe CX will come back after finishing his taxes and help me out here.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 09:23 PM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

HD has some blue screws called Tap-cons, they come in different sizes. You will need to drill a hole for each screw but they do hold good. I just don't know how they will sink into the CBU.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2004, 09:44 PM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Be possible with the tapcons, I suppose. Big PITA, but possible. And getting the sheets flat and aligned is gonna be an even bigger PITA.

If your brick face isn't flat and smooth enough for your tile, I'd suggest you apply some mortar. Is this brick face pretty clean? No paint or any such?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase