Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-22-2003, 06:37 PM   #1
SharonR

Angry Closet Flange

I know you said to be nice to my tiler, but it's becoming pretty tuff.
When they started the second bathroom, the toilet worked fine, but just as the job was ending, they said they would be back the next morning to install toilet,( it was in the contract) and they did not show up.
My husband decided to do it himself, and discovered the flange was loose. After reading the postings here on same, he headed to Lowes and purchased "stuff" to fix it.
To no avail, so after a chat with customer service they called a plumber, and he said it was broken.
Tile Installer said that it was that way when they removed the toilet, but I was here for 2 weeks as they worked and no one ever mentioned anything about the flange.
And yes, I signed off on the installation because he told me they had to validate the warranty, I even questioned him about part of the contract, circled and initialed the parts I was unsure of..
but signed it anyway, too tired to fight about it. Well, that was the last time I saw him and his crew.
How expensive a job will this be to fix it? Do we have options?
Access thru a crawl space, cast iron pipes I think.
Any advice appreciated
SharonR
SharonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2003, 07:06 PM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

When you say "broken", what exactly do you mean. For a wood subfloor, the flange is nothing more than a fitting that is screwed to the wood floor.

Not much to fix unless the main line is broken .

Give us some more info...

Jason
Old 12-22-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
golfin

First of all see what kind of drainage pipe you have coming to the toilet flange 3" or 4" and what kind of pipe (cast iron, pvc, abs).

If it is cast like you think it is you have a couple of options that you could probably do your self.
1. (harder of the 2) Would be to cut the cast iron under the tiolet flange at least 12" down ( if you can get your hands on a set of cast iron cutters would be the best or get a sawzall with several metal cutting blades to cut it with) get a fernco (rubber coupling with stainless bands to tighten to the cast iron). Most houses with cast iron have 4" running up to the toilet flange so get a 4"x3" fernco reducing coupling, a 3" pvc toilet flange and some new screws and a small peice of 3" pvc pipe. Don't forget glue and cleaner and a saw to cut the 3" pvc pipe. Just cut the cast iron pipe pull up the old flange. Temporarly screw the new flange down with a couple screws. Go back under the house and put the fernco on measure from inside the toilet flange to inside the fernco cut your pipe. Take the new flange back up glue your pipe into the flange slide the flange and pipe in the hole guiding it into the fernco make sure that the flange sits on the floor screw it done permantly and go under the house and tighten up the to bands.

2. (easier of the 2) if it is 4" castiron buy a pvc to cast iron replacement flange from the company oatey http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/sh...&prodgrpid=106

I have used them several time with broken cast iron flanges and they work great. You leave the old flange in place this new flange just slides down into the pipe. You will probably need to drill holes for the new screw holes in the flange JUST through the cast iron FLANGE
Old 12-22-2003, 07:14 PM   #4
golfin

sorry hit the enter button to soon

for the new screws buy screws that are long enough to go through both flanges and into the floor. Then you just tighten up the allen srews in the new flange for a tight seal.

If its not castiron then I just typed all this for nothing It its a diffrent type of pipe then I will give you my 2 cents again.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:23 PM   #5
electricjet

Angry

And I thought only swimming pool contractors did crap like that!

Ken
Old 12-22-2003, 09:19 PM   #6
SharonR

I know

That the tile was installed over an existing ceramic tile floor (black and white, tiny little tiles) that was on a bed of concrete. probably 2-3 inches thick, including the existing flooring.
I can understand why they did not want to remove it, he said the flange would be the right height because of that.
My husband is reluctant to do this job himself, he is concerned that a leak could occur, and bless his heart he will try anything.
The house was built in 1959, plumber said it was leaded? in, and flange has broken away from the pipe.
So that is all we know, the plumber is coming tomorrow afternoon.
I guess my question now is how intricate the job will be and what kind of price tag are we looking at, med, high???
Thanks again guy's for your advice.
SharonR
SharonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 10:24 PM   #7
golfin

200.00 on the low side to 400.00, depends, things always look different when seen in person
Old 12-23-2003, 09:02 AM   #8
schmuk

Lead Repair

Not sure if this is the same. When we replaced our toilets we found part of the flange broken away. Like yours it was leaded in. They sold us a lead replacement fix it sleave. It fits into the existing pipe and over the top of the old. Yoe screw it into the floor to stabelize it. The diameter is about 3 3/4" and we were told to fil the gap in the coller with extra wax ring broken apart worked in by hand. Did 2 like this in June for a total cost of about $25 in parts and my 29 minutes in labor and no issues yet. Hope it helps

You know what BS is, MS is More of the Same, and it's Piled Higher and Deeper here
schmuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase