Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
KiKi Mann

need help on how to fill gap between marble shower wall and floor

First off -- this is one of the NICEST sites I have found yet! -- I appreciate the refined/constrained openness -- open, accessible, friendly -- but with some good boundaries in place! NICELY DONE!!!

OK -- 'some' time ago (a few years now ...) I had a problem with moldy caulk and decided to replace it. I scraped off ALL the caulk, cleaned the tiles (marble) and joints with bathroom cleaner, sprayed bleach and some other anti-mold stuff on the grout and into the cracks, and cleaned the tiles with alcohol to remove any residue of the soap that I used to clean the tiles. I then proceeded to re-caulk. First problem is the caulk didn't seem to bond very well. But the bigger problem is that on one edge where the floor meets the wall the grout has fallen out, and there is nothing behind the crack to hold new grout in. Shouldn't I re-grout before I try to caulk? The gap is way too large to just caulk (I think). Somebody at work suggested injecting expanding foam to create a backing and then grouting against that, but I'm not sure that would be a very sturdy solution. But that may just be as good as it gets though. The shower is currently holding several boxes of misc. junk, but I would really like to be able to use it again ... please let me know what might work.

Thanks,
Kiki
Unread 07-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome, KiKi. Glad you like it around here.

Can you show us a picture? Or can you tell us how large the grout piece that's missing is?

For the caulk you've purchased. Is it 100% silicone, acrylic, or.....?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
KiKi Mann

Thanks Tool Guy - kg -- will do --

... but it may be a day or two before I can send them -- I have to excavate all the boxes storage out of the shower before I can get a picture -- I'll send one as soon as I get it -- thanks for your patience ...

til then ...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase