Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-02-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
skipatroller

Thinking about putting Tile floor in kitchen

My wife thinks she wants to put a ceramic tile floor in our kitchen / dining area. I have a couple of questions:

House was built in 1992. Joists are 9.5" I-Joists from Louisanna Pacific (2x3 on top and bottom with OSB Center Web) these were only required to be put on 24" centers but were put on 16" spacings, sub-floor was 3/4" tongue and groove OSB that was Glued and Screwed to joists, this was then finished with 9/16" particle board underlayment(Glued and screwed). (Very solid floor) Vinyl was then installed on top.

1. Current flooring is vinyl, does this have to bee removed? Or can the tile be laid over the top of it? If it has to be removed, any suggestions?

2. Kitchen has a large island (w/down draft cook top) -- best to remove the island? (then set it back on top the tile? vs. tiling around it?)

Thats a start -- we will see where it goes from there !

Thanks
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
bbcamp

Welcome, Skip!

We need to know the unsupported span of those I-joists.

The 3/4" OSB subfloor is good, but the vinyl and particle board have to go. Removal is the sweat part of the "sweat equity."

Things will be a lot easier if the island were gone, but you can work around it. A toe kick saw can trim the particle board flush with the island.

But we really need to know about the spans. If the joists aren't up to the job, then you may want to re-think your plans.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
skipatroller

OK I measured the span -- 14' 2" from the edge of the sill plate to the edge of the Glu-Lam support beam.

Joists are 9.5" from Louisianna-Pacific (1992) -- they have a 2x3" (solid wood)on the top and bottom and an OSB center web (supposedly much stronger than a Fir/Larch 2x10)

They are on 16" centers even though they could have met code at 24" centers.

Sub floor is 3/4 in T&G OSB that is screwed and glued to joists. Covered with 9/16" underlayment (again, glued and screwed --- removing this isn't really an option !!)

Current floor covering is sheet vinyl.

Recommendations?

Can a person tile over the vinyl?

What about put down 1/4" Wonder Board and then set tile on it? (Wonder Board really necessary?)

Need to strip the sheet vinyl? Recommendations on the best way to go about it?

Then put down Wonder Board? somehing else?

Thanks
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
bbcamp

OK, best I can tell, the I-joists meet the L/480 deflection standard, so they're good to go.

If you really have particle board, then it has to be ripped up. PB swells badly when it gets wet, and tile cannot stand for the underlayment moves. Leaving PB in your floor is not an option for tile! OTOH, if it is OSB (waferboard) then it can stay, and you just have to scrape the vinyl off.

Once you get the particle board up, then you can put down an underlayment for the tile. The minumum you can get away with is 1/4", and with your 3/8" tiles and about 1/8" for thinset, will put you just higher than you are now.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
greg ziegler
Concrete Contractor

tear-out the vinyl
greg ziegler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase