Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
JerseyDIYguy

Ditra Heat over curbless shower change of plane (and other questions)

My brother in northern California is in a bit of a rush to get a bathroom tiled so he’s hiring me to help him (and paying for my plane ticket…). The main portion of the bathroom is about 10’ x 5’ with a shower stall projecting out of one side. The stall will be 39” square with a curbless entry and a swinging glass door that opens outward into the main part of the bathroom. There will be a linear drain either along the far wall of the shower (away from the opening) or across the middle of the shower.

The shower floor will be tiled with 3” hexagonal ceramic tiles, plus 3” half-hexagon tiles in a mosaic pattern. The underlayment of the bathroom and shower floors is 5/8” plywood over joists on 16” centers and Deflecto shows about 400. He’s doing 100% Schluter products for waterproofing the shower. He’s also doing Ditra Heat for the floor of the bathroom outside the shower.

The floor of the 39” square shower area is currently “dropped” (recessed) 2.5” below the rest of the bathroom floor. This was done to allow for a mudbed to create the slope to the linear drain. However, he now wants to go with a prefab Schluter sloped foam tray and Schluter linear drain.

Questions:

1. At the threshold of the shower entry he’ll have ditraheat mat butting up to a Kerdi Foam pan. I assume we can just use Kerdi Band to waterproof this seam?

2. If he decides to go with a sloped mud bed he'd like to run the Ditra Heat Mat from the level bathroom floor, across the threshold at the shower entrance, and down the sloped plane of the shower floor. That way there would not be a seam at the shower threshold. Any issues with having Ditra Heat mat cross a small change of plane like this? Suggestions for installation? I assume I’d need to have the change of plane align with a gap between the “towers” so the mat with bend easily.

3. If we go with a foam shower pan what should we do to build up the subfloor in the shower area so that the edge of the foam shower tray will be flush with the top of the installed Ditra Heat mat? I estimate we’ll need to build up that 39” square area by about 1-3/4" in height. Should I just put down several layers of plywood and bond/screw them together? Any issues with installing the linear drain on an extra thick subfloor?

4. Any issues with the half hexagon tiles on a Schluter foam pan or on Ditra heat mat? They’re about 3” x 1.44”.

TIA!

Correction - I checked the Schluter site and we'd only need to build up the recessed subfloor about 7/8" to 1-1/4" depending on which pan he chooses.

Last edited by JerseyDIYguy; 01-02-2020 at 02:25 PM.
JerseyDIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-02-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

1. I see no reason that can't work.

2. I'd much rather have a "seam" at the threshold than have DitraHeat on the shower floor. You'll want a movement accommodation joint in the tile surface there in any case.

3. I can't imagine using anything other than deck mud in that application. Doubling or tripling plywood is not going to be as flat or as level as the mud, both of which are required for the use of the foam tray. The deck mud also allows you to provide the exact height you need. But I am further baffled as to why you'd add a foam tray at all to an application where the shower floor was recessed to allow deck mud.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
JerseyDIYguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
But I am further baffled as to why you'd add a foam tray at all to an application where the shower floor was recessed to allow deck mud.
Not really my call. He likes the idea of having something with a little insulation underfoot in the shower.

Suggestions for a movement accommodation joint at the change of plane between the floor and the shower pan?
Unread 01-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Just a grout joint that you fill with a flexible sealant rather than grout, Warren. There is a minimum width called out in EJ171, but at least an eighth of an inch would help, preferably at least a quarter-inch.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase