Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #31
cx
Da Home Builder

Just one of the problems I have with those foam shower trays is the slope, or lack thereof. If you get one that actually has the code required 1/4" per foot minimum slope to drain, it will most certainly not have even the tiniest bit extra. That means that with anything less than a perfectly level subfloor, even your little bit of slope means that you'll have something less than the minimum requirement on one side of that tray.

Is why I always recommend the use of deck mud to create a properly sloped shower floor that perfectly fits your shower footprint and drain location and has at least the code required minimum slope. And you can add in a little extra slope just to be sure, as many of us do on a routine basis.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #32
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I don't remember the size of the shower tray you intend to use, Tom, or who the manufacturer is, but I find it improbable that you'll be able to make up for that 1/16th while keeping the entire perimeter level during install.

But as PC suggests, 1/16th over 5' ain't much, I'd run with it, 'specially if the high end is also the end where the shower head is.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:04 AM   #33
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, the paper on drywall has grain to it and it is designed to be installed horizontal (i.e., crossing the supports, not along them) like plywood is installed. The difference in strength is noticeable.

If using something like Kerdi, the fabric membrane acts like the tape when using drywall mud and tape then painted outside of wet areas. It can sometimes be easier to ensure you don't get a depression where the edges meet if you prefill that with thinset and letting it cure a bit prior to then adding the membrane on top, otherwise, it's easy to end up with a depression there especially if you try to embed the fabric with a short knife or trowel and go across the joint versus along it while bridging onto the full thickness portions.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #34
fordperson

Im using the 34x60 kerdi tray, along with all the other pieces of the shower kit (membrane, drain)

Honestly, inserting a single cardboard shim seems to fix it, im debating just adding a bit more thinset (maybe backbutter the tray) where it should be higher. Otherwise I thought about just using a thin veneer to level things out.

jadnashua: I definitively noticed that the drywall edges are tapered and figured some durabond couldnt hurt...
Old 07-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #35
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Maybe use a 1/8X1/8 square notch trowel at a bit more than a 45* angle and reduce the angle as you go. Let it dry, then go back and fill it in with the straight side of the trowel. Use a rub block to get the taper just right.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #36
fordperson

Just an update, I found that both my floor and the tray were slightly uneven. Ended up dragging the tray outside on the sidewalk(lol) to take a bit off the high side. Spent some extra double checking the thinset coverage when setting the tray, things turned out well. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #37
fordperson

Tile layout advice - balanced vs centered

Hi all,

Im doing a off by 1/3 layout using 12x24 tile and trying to figure out which layout looks better. I have read that centered layouts look better however on a 60" wall that results in a bunch of small cuts (8" pieces). What do you think of a balanced/staggered layout?

Any advice would be great! thanks
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2019, 12:06 PM   #38
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

it looks better without the small cuts

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase