Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Ebbtide58

Prepan questions

I'm new to the forum and this the first shower I have attempted. I live in Massachusetts where the plumber installs the membrane. It will be a walk in shower with a sill, about 54 by 36. The house was built in 1953 with balloon framing. I would like to make the pan and do The rest of the work myself.
A problem is that the subfloor has a substantial slope sinking to the far wall with the plumbing rough, in the picture. About 2 inches over 4 feet. Of course, this slope is not towards the drain.
The plumber says that he always puts the membrane over the subfloor. Presumably then I would put the pan in, in one pour without a prepan. I am concerned that without a prepan any seepage will collect in the membrane at the low end and have no way out. It seems to me that a properly sloped prepan with a rubber membrane over it would channel seepage to the drain.
The plumber is a pretty adamant guy, but I will fight to do the job right-if a prepan is necessary.
The blocking between the studs isn't installed yet. I'll take the advice about notching the studs a foot up. Is a sawzall the best way to go?
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
speed51133

your thoughts are correct.

add to that, if you are using a PVC membrane, your drain should NOT be flush with the floor. It should be like 1.5in elevated. The preslope takes up this thickness and can account for the dip in the floor.

I'd find another guy asap before any more work is done...

when you say notch the studs, I presume you are not going to just hack them up with a sawzall?? Below is what you want.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...62176901421145
Old 07-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
Ebbtide58

Thanks for the advice. Your link for the notching seems to be broken. Any other thoughts about notching?
When you say that the drain should be an inch and a half higher than the floor, you aren't referring to the flange, but the drain itself-right? The drain is already 1.5 to 2 inches higher than the low area.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
speed51133

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=105480

here is the link for notching. there is a good pic there.

with respect to the floor drain, yes, it should be floating above the floor. look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8xsx3316IU
Old 07-02-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
Ebbtide58

I got the link and I saw the notching diagram, but did not see any suggestions on how to notch. I'm open to ideas. I also have some 1/4 luan . I wonder if it would be easier to shim above than notch below.
Your comment about the shower drain saved me lots of grief.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
speed51133

You can notch the lower 6in, or shim everything above it. Same thing. I think some guys use a hand chisel, others a router, some an oscillating tool. Im sure you COULD use a sawzall, but I just pictured you going in there and cuttin'g the lower 6in off each stud!

if the low spot is a good 1.5 to 2in, Why not fill it in with some SLC ?Or pack more mud there for the preslope....
Old 07-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #7
Ebbtide58

I'm planning on using more mud to get a level edge all around with a 1/4 inch slope to the drain per foot.
Hadn't thought of a router. A chance to buy a new tool....
Old 07-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Dave.

What you need at that drain is to have no less than 3/4" thickness of your deck mud between the floor and the top of the bottom flange. And a level perimeter as you've suggested with a minimum slope of 1/4" per foot to the farthest corner of the shower. You absolutely must have the pre-slope under your liner and any responsible plumber should know that. Emphasis on responsible and should.

As for notching the bottom of the studs for your pan liner, while I have a handful of routers and like them very much, I can't see any reasonable way to use one to do that notching. Perhaps Mike will educate me. The Sawzall will work, although my first choice would be a wood chisel. It doesn't take much. And you need to recess the stud bottoms of the studs to the height of your pan liner, which must be at least 3" above the top of your shower curb.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:18 PM   #9
Ebbtide58

Thanks for the super helpful advice. Is 3/4 inch the minimum depth for the mortar anywhere in the prepan?
I was going to mix my mortar with sand and Portland cement. Do you advise latex additive?
Old 07-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Dave, usually the thinnest part of the preslope is at the drain but that may not be the case in your shower. You want it 3/4 at the thinnest part, where ever that might be. I have no idea how thick it will be at your drain.

I usually cut the hole in the plywood around 2 1/2 inches in diameter, that allows the 4 nubs on the bottom of the drain to rest on the plywood. Doing that usually gives me about 3/4 mud around the drain. The flange shouldn't be resting on the floor.

You'll want tar paper (or poly) on the plywood and lath stapled down before the preslope goes down.

I've used a Sawsall a time or two for notching the studs but it's easy to get it deeper than it needs to be. A sharp wood chisel works well like Cx mentioned.

Just trying to lower the chance of being confused, the membrane is actually the "pan", not the cement mud bed.

5 to 1 mix of mud made good and damp without latex works fine.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #11
speed51133

A hand-held plunge router can clean out a pocket and set the depth evenly and precisely. You then clean it up with a hammer/chisel. I know, it doesnt need to be precise, but I was throwing out options. No idea what tools this guy has or has used. You could use a butter knife and a rock too. Should I provide instructions for that?

Come on CX.....
Old 07-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

For the studs, I use a planer whenever possible but obviously it won't get in the corners so the old technology of a chisel still works for that.

But I will butt strip the shower first to get the walls flat. Then that will tell me if I even need to notch the bottom of the studs. If you have a couple of shims on the wall then there's no need to notch.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:21 AM   #13
ZZZK

I've used a plunge router to notch studs. I set the plunge depth to the depth I want and it precisely notches the studs to that depth. Once I move down enough that the guide plate on the router is no longer supported on one side (due to the notching) I hold a strip of wood with my left hand under the router to support the router plate so that the plunge thickness is kept consistent all the way down. This way is fast and precise but noisy and messy compared to a chisel and hammer. I prefer this over a planer because I feel it's much easier to notch precisely and a planer makes just as much noise and mess.

When it comes to a corner I can still use the router because I use a routing bit long enough to cover the width of a stud. In this case I draw a guide line for my notch and hold the router to the side of the stud. Not quite as precise but still gets the job done.

Last edited by ZZZK; 07-03-2019 at 11:29 AM.
ZZZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #14
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Another option that I have used is to use a wood drill bit at least an inch or so and drill out the largest portion of the studs. From there, it's easy to dress out the remains with a chisel....

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #15
thuffner3

Hi Dave,
I like to scribe a line around my flange set my jigsaw to 45 degrees and cut out the plywood. This makes sure the flange fits completely flush with the sub floor.
I take a couple of 12" pieces of 2x4 and screw to the underside of the floor 4" apart. This assures the flange is supported, use 2 or 3 roofing nails to hold the flange firm. The distance from drain to farthest wall determines slope, typical would 2 to 3 feet would equal a 3/4" screed. nail this screed down all the way around the perimeter of the shower. I always have Ardex or Plani patch on my truck. its quick drying and solid. Make your preslope. Planing and chiseling is a fair amount of work, especially at the corners where you have multiple layers.
Get yourself some Lathe strips, a bundle is cheap and there uniform. 2 tacks will hold it in place and your ready to go,

That's how I do It.
Happy 4th
Neil

Her contractor said she could have it installed today.
thuffner3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase