Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #1
rjjencke

Shower Leak Advice Needed

Hello all,

I have an issue with a shower I built. This is not my first shower build however it is the first one that includes a half wall which is where the leak is occurring.

For this build we used Denssheild for the walls and Mapei Aquadefense as the waterproofing agent. Thinset and mesh tape were used at all seams and covered with waterproofing.

This leak is coming out of the grout on outside edge of the half wall outside of the shower glass. The water appears to be traveling behind the grout and past the shower glass. A small amount of water sits on top of the half wall, although the top of the wall is sloped properly. See pic below:

Name:  IMG_3996.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  59.7 KB

I have re-siliconed all edges of the shower glass and confirmed that this water is not coming between the tile and glass.

We used Mapei Flexcolor premixed grout. The grout seems to be separating from the metal edge trim on the top and outside edge of the half wall. We have since filled these gaps with color-match silicone, however, the leak remains.

Name:  IMG_0015.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  26.2 KB

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!
Unread 12-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I don't know how much help it is, but typically when grout separates in that way, I'd suspect a wet and/or expanding substrate or framing problem.

Give us an idea of size of leak. A drop? A cup? Has it gotten worse with time?

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
tatumjonj

If the gap is increasing, the framing is likely swelling.
Unread 12-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
rmckee84

Are there penetrations on top the short wall where the glass brackets are mounted?
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I have the same feeling as Peter- that type of cracking usually indicates that it's taking on water.

Yes, it could be penetrations from the shower glass but it could also be something in the waterproofing. That spot will see a lot of water as anything that hits the glass there will run down.

Check for hollow spots along those tiles. It's not for sure, but usually the wood is swelling and will loosen those tiles on that corner.
Unread 12-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
rjjencke

It is a decent leak that runs down the wall and creates a puddle on the floor outside the shower.

Yes there are penetrations on top of the wall where the metal brackets were installed.

We had to remove the glass and re-install. We put silicone in the anchor holes and then siliconed around the glass perimeter.
Unread 12-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
rjjencke

Here is a pic of the half wall waterproofing. (It was Redgard not Mapei fyi).

For some reason the site keeps rotating my image and I can't correct it. I tried 10 times.

Name:  IMG_3474.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  26.1 KB
Unread 12-14-2017, 02:25 AM   #8
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

If that's the extent of Redgard installed I'll hazard a guess it's at least part of the problem. At the mil thickness Custom specifies, Redgard is not very transparent. That would appear to be a single light coat.

I've never used Denshield. It's a gypsum core, right?

You could tape some plastic onto glass and drape over that horizontal area and see if water slows down.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #9
rmckee84

If you have screws in the flat part of the half wall I would venture to guess that's probably the source of the grout separating from the profile. Water is most likely getting in and reaching the fraiming there.
Unread 12-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
rjjencke

Peter, I don't know if that picture was after the final coat, however, I always use several thick coats of waterproofing. It may look transparent over the white thinset in that pic.

Denssheild itself is waterproof, except for the seams and where it is punctured, which is why all seams and screws are covered with Redgard.

I agree with all of you. It seams that the half wall framing is swelling I just can't pinpoint exactly where/how the water is getting in. I may try your idea of taping plastic to the glass and over the top of the wall.

Actually, our next idea/solution is to install a piece of granite on top of the half wall sloped towards the shower.

Last edited by rjjencke; 12-14-2017 at 08:41 AM.
rjjencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #11
rmckee84

The granite is a good idea assuming you plan to dissect the pony wall and see what is going on underneath. My fear is that you have moisture that has reached the fraiming which also means the gypsum core or the densheild has gotten wet. If thats the case it will need opened up and allowed to dry before you can remedy the issue. This is all speculation but I'm sure you know that.
In the future I would avoid penetrating any horizontal surface in the wet area.
Unread 12-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #12
ZZZK

That glass bracket is familiar it looks like what came with my Dreamline enclosure. Is that bracket screwed into the top of the pony wall?
Unread 12-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #13
Kman

Penetrating the waterproofing on a horizontal surface is a no-no. If you had a granite slab there and wanted to drill through it to secure the bracket, that's no problem, but you can't break your waterproofing layer.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You say you put pitch on top of the pony wall. Was the Denshield sloped before the Redgard was applied? Or did you just slope the tiles with extra thinset? How did you slope the top?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #15
rjjencke

Ryan and Kevin, we built the shower and then had a glass company install the glass. I 'figured' they knew what they were doing by drilling through the top of the wall and then applying silicone around the metal brackets. Is this the standard procedure for installing glass on a pony wall? I am not familiar.

Davy, the Denssheild itself is sloped before thinset and tile, however, there are anchors and screws going through both layers which secure the glass brackets.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase