Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
5ZVP

GoBoard instead of drywall

This is slightly off topic. I am installing a shower using GoBoard for the shower walls and am thinking of using GoBoard for the rest of the walls in the bathroom. The rest of the bathroom walls will be painted and not tiled. Does anyone see a problem with that?

I know GoBoard is much more expensive than drywall but I don't need much more after the shower walls.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

You certainly can. Were you fixin' to tape, float, then paint like drywall in the wet areas?

If tiling everywhere its a good idea. Pricy, but a nice touch.

EDIT - What Wayne said below. (I'll blame this one on a senior moment) The fire code in my fair state requires drywall everywhere there isn't tile.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com

Last edited by Houston Remodeler; 03-29-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
5ZVP

Yes. I was going to work with the GoBoard the same way I would drywall but only in area that are not wet - tape, mud and paint.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:19 PM   #4
wwhitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
I am installing a shower using GoBoard for the shower walls and am thinking of using GoBoard for the rest of the walls in the bathroom. The rest of the bathroom walls will be painted and not tiled. Does anyone see a problem with that?
GoBoard is a foam plastic product and as such the building code requires that it be separated from interior living space by an "approved thermal barrier" (2015 IRC R316.4), such as 1/2" gypsum board, unless it has been tested for fire resistance and meets certain criteria. From the manufacturer's published data, it appears that GoBoard passes the NFPA 286 testing when covered by tile, but that it hasn't been tested without tile.

The upshot is that the building code would require you to cover the GoBoard with a thermal barrier, so just use gypsum board instead.

Cheers, Wayne
Old 03-29-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I agree with Wayne. I believe GoBoard is the most fire resistant foam board becuse it's polyiso foam but it's still not what gypsum drywall is.

If the issue is that you don't want to purchase 4x8 sheets you could use Denshield outside the shower?
Old 04-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
dutchoyster

Similarly, I'm looking to use GoBoard as the finished ceiling surface for my shower (slap it onto the structure above, seal per mfg. instructions, and paint). I have plenty of leftover from doing the walls, and would rather just use it instead of dealing with drywall, but don't want to tile up there either.

I hadn't even thought of what Wayne mentioned, but dug a little deeper into the code, with specifics to foam plastics as a finish (I think R316.4 addresses foam plastics as an insulation layer of the exterior envelope, and that's when it needs to be separated from the interior spaces):

R316.5.10 Interior finish.
Foam plastics shall be permitted as interior finish where approved in accordance with Section R316.6. Foam plastics that are used as an interior finish shall meet the flame spread index and smoke-developed index requirements of Sections R302.9.1 and R302.9.2.

R302.9.1 Flame spread index.
Wall and ceiling finishes shall have a flame spread index of not greater than 200.

R302.9.2 Smoke-developed index.
Wall and ceiling finishes shall have a smoke-developed index of not greater than 450.

R302.9.3 Testing.
Tests shall be made in accordance with ASTM E 84 or UL 723.

The product data sheet shows at the end that all thicknesses of GoBoard were tested per ASTM E84 standards, and passed. So technically, if you're just using it as a finish already inside the exterior envelope, it seems to be approved. I have a note out to a technical rep to confirm though.

Last edited by dutchoyster; 04-07-2017 at 02:08 PM.
dutchoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #7
wwhitney

Hi Chris,

Your research is very good but not quite complete, I think. Note that R316.5.10 which you quoted says "Foam plastics shall be permitted as interior finish where approved in accordance with Section R316.6." Here's R316.6:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015 IRC
R316.6 Specific approval.

Foam plastic not meeting the requirements of Sections R316.3 through R316.5 shall be specifically approved on the basis of one of the following approved tests: NFPA 286 with the acceptance criteria of Section R302.9.4, FM 4880, UL 1040 or UL 1715, or fire tests related to actual end-use configurations. Approval shall be based on the actual end-use configuration and shall be performed on the finished foam plastic assembly in the maximum thickness intended for use. Assemblies tested shall include seams, joints, and other typical details used in the installation of the assembly and shall be tested in the manner intended for use.
So an ASTM E 84 or UL 723 result is not sufficient for exposed applications, as those are not listed as approved tests in R316.6. If you check the GoBoard NTA listing sheet available here:

https://www.jm.com/content/dam/jm/gl...NTAlisting.pdf

you can see that it lists "NFPA 286, Interior Finish Fire Test (Tested with tile installed over GoBoard)" in the Test Values chart. As no other other R316.6 approved test results are given, it appears GoBoard without tile does not comply with R316.6.

Cheers, Wayne

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase