Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Derek1234
Derek

Calcutta Gold floor help

I am a general contractor using a trusted tile contractor that is having some issues with a 12x24 Calcutta gold floor in a small bathroom. The floor is showing excessive veining or cracking that continues to get worse in the 8 weeks since its installation. The tile contractor had us have the existing sub floor recessed the required amount for his needed assembly required for his work. We consulted with a structural engineer on the work and have no spans over 5' on the 2x10 framing on 12" centers. Our engineer stated we were clear all the way down to a 2x6 joist if needed for further depth. The tile contractor installed Polymortified Versa bond Mortar with a 1/4" notch trowel, installed Durock underlayment, screwed down with quick drive system as well as taped the joints. He then installed Laticrete floor warming heat mat system. Next Install Custom level quick with Latex Primer over entire area to cover wire and level floor out. Finally Install marble with custom poly mortified Versabond by using a 3/8" notch trowel and also back buttering each piece of stone. Forgive me if I Have spelled some of the names of these technical products incorrectly. The issue is the floor is cracking and the wall tiles are showing some of the same issues as well. Some of the uninstalled product shows some of the same issues although not as bad yet. The product distributor began blaming cleaning, then structural, then the heat mat, then the installation method etc. Product distributor indicates the only right way to install marble is on a 2" mud base per TCA. I just want to figure out the correct issue. has anyone had any issues with defective product? Had my installer in fact done something incorrectly? We all want to make our customer happy once. Thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Derek.

What is the subflooring under the Durock?

If you're experiencing the same problem with un-installed product and with wall installation off the same product, I'm wondering why y'all are arguing about the floor installation method, though.

I'm not familiar with the product name and some photos of the tile and, if possible, the failures might be very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Product distributor indicates the only right way to install marble is on a 2" mud base per TCA.
I know of no requirement anywhere in the TCNA Handbook for a 2" mud bed for any purpose and that's actually the upper limit without specification from a design professional.

While I would agree that a mud bed is one of the better substrates for your application, it is not the "only right way" published by the TCNA unless you have only a single layer subfloor, in which case the requirement would be for a reinforced mud bed of a minimum of 1 1/4" thickness (2" max without professional design).

Does your cracking have any particular pattern, like repeating intervals between cracks?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

TCNA and MIA require a double layer plywood floor for natural stone when cement board is used. The Durock doesn't add any structural strength.

So my question is the same as CX, what is under the Durock?

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Derek1234
Derek

The tile sub started his process on the 3/4 inch subfloor which is 3/4 Advantech. That is what my concern is. We had- and still have the ability to recess the floor down up to 4 inches if needed it for whatever floor was selected along with the needed reinforcement plywood or durock. There are repeating intervals between cracks but they do not involve the grout. My concern is it is showing some minor veining on the walls which is how the floor started. There is a shower in the room that has a mud base utilizing smaller tiles and has not experienced this cracking. smaller tiles or mud base? I has a structural engineer visit the site to confirm the loads and joist reactions. We are concerned about the product and may not reinstall the same product when it is replaced. The distributor/supplier is no help to the tile contractor that purchased it unfortunately. Thought about sending the marble off for testing.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

The single layer subflooring does not meet industry standards for the type of tile you installed. Whether that is a significant part of your current problem is difficult to say without more information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
There are repeating intervals between cracks but they do not involve the grout.
What is the measurement between these intervals?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Derek1234
Derek

they are random. My thought is that they might correspond to the plywood patterns or joist direction but they run both directions and seem to be erratic in nature. Just some of them correspond with adjacent tiles. The only other thing keeping me from tearing it out and replacing it is the unused material showing the same type light white cracks that keep getting worse.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:01 AM   #7
Higher Standard Tile
Tile and Stone Contractor

Derek can you upload some pictures?

Higher Standard Tile & Stone
Maui, Hawaii
CTEF Certified Tile Installer #673

Maui Professional Tile & Stone Installation
Higher Standard Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase