Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
GreatWhiteNowhere

Bathroom Gut & Full Rebuild.

Long time lurker, first time poster with so bear with me

We have an 8'6" x 7' bathroom built as an addition to our 67 yr old post & beam house that we plan to gut and hope to redo with tile. However, the folks who built the addition in their infinite wisdom chose to use 2x4s as floor joists (the rest of the house is 2x6). So far everything that I have read has been along the lines of "STOP. DO NOT PASS GO. DO NOT COLLECT $200." in regards to ceramic or stone tile, deflection & these 'lovely' 2x4 joists.

However I did come across an old thread here on the forums which makes me slightly more optimistic. (I'll post the link when allowed).

There is currently a cast iron claw tub in the bathroom, and have had no issues as far as a bouncy floor goes, despite some notching in the joists below. The 2x4joists are greyed with age & have no stamping visible on them but no signs of cracking or water damage. Knots are very (very) few, and quite small.

The joists run approximately 7' from the beam of the original house to the exterior framing of the addition; joists are 16" on centre (give or take-- no less than 12"oc and no greater than 17"oc).

We have full (basement) access to the joists & plumbing directly under the bathroom. Before we proceed at all with this project, I was hoping to get some opinions.

We were already planning on sistering the weakened (notched) joists where necessary and adding some support to the exterior wall, but given the information I've gathered that may not prove sufficient.

If we were to reinforce the joists entirely by sistering 2x6s throughout and adding blocking where needed could we then in good conscience proceed as planned with preparations for tile? Or should we start seriously considering other options?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Martina.

If you can get some good quality 2x6 joists in there at 16" on center spacing, you'd be OK for a ceramic, but not natural stone, tile installation. Sistering with more 2x4 material still won't get you where you need to go.

Then we need to evaluate your subflooring.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
GreatWhiteNowhere

Thanks for the reply CX, good to hear since we were looking at porcelain/ceramic options [stone is just too rich for this house's blood ].

As for subfloor, we're working with original 3/4" shiplap-style sub [good condition, non-removable] with 1/2" ply on top. Replacing the 1/2" subfloor would either be entire or on an "as needed" basis, depending on its condition. As we plan to re-plumb & modify the layout of the room we're under the assumption that the subfloor will likely be replaced.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase