Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-22-2019, 06:21 AM   #1
AbbyInTN

Abby's Kitchen Floor

Hello Folks,

I have done an extensive search for a Daltile product Cotto Contempo in the Sunset Blvd color. Their stock number is CC15. I am only seeing stock photos directly from their website. I would like to see some more photos of it installed in real homes. Has anyone installed this particular tile? I am surprised I cannot find more info...one would think Daltile would discontinue it if wasn't selling. I plan on installing in my kitchen. It is a very bold color and I want to be sure before I proceed. I will post a photo of it below, disregard the size as I plan on using a 13 x 13 in the same pattern I have now.
Name:  IMG_20190822_071709.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20190822_071734.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  35.6 KB
Unread 08-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
AbbyInTN

Can I special order a certain cut?

I don't really know how to say this in professional terms but here is my best shot. Can I order tile from say... Daltile with just the cuts I like. Like if it is a V3 and I only like 3 out of the 7 different variations. Can I special order just those 3 as a custom order? Thank you.
Unread 08-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Abby,welcome. I don't know what you mean by V3, maybe someone else does. What tiles are you talking about? You'll have to explain again or post us a pic. Maybe that will help.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome, Abby!

I think she's talking about the metric some manufacturers assign to the variation in the look of tile from one to the next in certain lines. Some tile lines have homogenous looking tiles and have a low number assigned to them. But some tile lines are meant to mimic natural stone and the variation in appearance might be fairly significant...and they have a higher number assigned to them. It's their means of trying to impress upon the buyer that they need to understand that the one or two tiles on display at the store might not be representative of what they'll actually be getting when they purchase a quantity of them.

But realize this number refers to how much they vary...not a particular tile image. For a given tile line, there might be one, two, five, ten, or any number of unique images that are printed. But you can't just order one of the tile images. It's possible to dig through the pile and pull what you like and return the rest. But returning tile at a place like Dal isn't going to happen. But folks do it all the time at Home Depot. It's one reason we issue a big warning about buying tile there. Because the returned tiles may be from a different run of production and their size and color may vary, it can make very unhappy and disappointed customers with a half-installed kitchen with mis-matched or mis-sized tiles.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Abby.

This for the Daltile product Cotto Contempo you asked about in another thread?

The V3 is ANSI Aesthetic Classification if the tiles are tested to the requirements of ANSI A137.1 where the tiles "may vary in color, texture, or appearance according to the manufacurer's design for that particular tile series or product line." There are five classifications from V0 thru V4. V3 is described as Moderate Variation.

The only way to get an answer to your question would be for you to contact Daltile and ask them. I seriously doubt you'll be pleased with the response, but you never know.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2019, 04:40 AM   #6
AbbyInTN

Yes Tool Guy, you explained perfectly the definition and angst of the variations in floor tile. I do plan on going by Daltile today to lay out several pieces. I know they are not going to break open cases just so I can pick through them but if they happen to be manufacturing that particular tile at the factory....yeah I don't think they are going to bother with a 160 sq ft order.

I guess I will just cross my fingers it is not too busy because i am having a hard time finding a brown tile. All I see is white and grey everywhere...hate it. It is the Cotto Contempo.
Unread 08-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
AbbyInTN

To Remove Cabinets or To Not Remove Cabinets

I am a homeowner and have tackled many home improvements over the past 30 years, but I know my limits. There are too many variables to tiling that are beyond my expertise.

I have received a few estimates from some local tradesman here in Middle Tennessee and I have noticed one thing that drastically effects the price; the removal of cabinets. Some say it would be ideal to remove the cabinets and others say it would be no problem to saw it at the toe kick. I know I seen many videos demonstrating it and there are special tools made especially for this task.

So, should I trust those who say it is necessary and be leary of those who say they can do it without removal? Is it "cutting corners" or is it "padding the invoice".

I trust there are cases when it merits one or the other...what say you?
Unread 08-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Saw what at the toe kick? How much do you love your cabinets? If your cabinets are new and still in style and you can see staying in this house for another 20 years you can leave the cabinets. It can cause problems with the dishwasher being locked in. But that's a case by case thing and newer dishwashers allow more height variations. Depending on what floor is read being removed and how much they're building up the subfloor you could end up with an inch lower cabinet height to work on. Cabinet installation prices are about $70 each and everyone counts. Removal would be similar cost. Except add in sink removal and countertop removal separate. Then new backsplash amd countertop.
It's a whole new can of worms and lead to remodeling the next rooms. At a minimum remove base molding.
Cabinet Removal can damage the face because it's hard to find all the screws that we're used to adhere it together.
Unread 08-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Abby,

I have never removed cabinets to do a remodel. The tiles should leave a 1/4 in gap at the toe boards. A quarter-round trim or base shoe will cover the crack. Don't let anyone put grout in that gap.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #10
Mdsims

Are you specifically asking if you should remove the existing cabinets to demo the tile underneath them? I'm a homeowner too, and I'd say that's largely up to you and your plans for the space.

If I had no plans of replacing the cabinets anytime soon, and all the counter tops were existing, I'd break the old tile at the toe kick and tile tight to the base, then add some vertical trim or quarter round to the toe kick to hide that raw edge. Pulling counter tops and cabinets just to tile underneath and put the same old stuff back seems like a waste and is asking for damage to the cabinets that will add further expense to the project (new cabinets).
Unread 08-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #11
AbbyInTN

Thank you, yes I am referring to demo of the old tile. Sorry, I am becoming a little too absorbed into my dilemma and I shouldn't expect y'all to be mind readers. My cabinets are solid hickory and I have no plans of replacing them.
Unread 08-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #12
Kman

I'd leave them in place. The only motivation to remove them would be replacement now or in the near future, and only then if the new cabinets had a smaller footprint.

Depending on the thickness of the toe kick, you could remove it, install the tile up to 1/4" of the cabinets, then rip the height of the toe kick as needed to reinstall it on top of the tile.

If you have some of the really thin toe kick that's 1/8" thick, the above won't work. You'll need to stay off it 1/4" with the tile, and caulk the gap with a color-matched grout caulk.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Another vote to leave the cabinets. Like JB said, cut the tiles leaving 1/4 inch joint and cover it with shoe molding.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2019, 06:18 AM   #14
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I'm in the minority here so far, I'd remove the cabinets, but that may be driven by the fact that I don't know how one can get under a 4" toe kick and effectively, cleanly cut the tile.

If the counter tops and BS are being replaced half the work of removing the cabinets is already done.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #15
Kman

I've always just broken the tile off at the toe kick without cutting it. Using a demolition hammer with a tile bit makes it easy to break them off.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase