Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-21-2019, 07:18 PM   #1
sleeper bird

Radiant heat floors

Been a while since iv been here,iv got a project that has two approx 100 sf bathrooms that has a radiant heat system specified.Thing is here in Louisiana we very rarely use under floor heating,the last time was about 10-12 years ago and we used the roll out cable and mat system with self leveler.It worked fine but iv been looking at the mat that acts as an uncoupler which I like,looked at rpm mats and schluter does anyone with experience with any or all have any recommendations?
Old 08-21-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
smifwal

Ardex flexbone heat would be my choice.single pass fill and you can use there banding to have a completely waterproof floor and use there liquid backer board to cover the wires
Old 08-21-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Ditra heat also can be made waterproof by using the banding on the seams. If you are putting this over a concrete slab, their version that has an extra thick layer of fleece on the bottom performs as a thermal break, making the heat respond quicker.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:32 AM   #4
sleeper bird

i saw an ad for the ardex one in the tile letter mag.so the underlayment mat type are preferred to the net type that i used a while back?
Old 08-22-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

IMHO, a net mat is harder to embed properly and can make getting an even floor to them put the tile on tougher. All the work you might have done to make the subfloor nice and flat is then sort of ruined with the mat. If you choose to use SLC to embed it, it's an extra, maybe unnecessary cost and step. And, if you have areas that will not be covered by that mat, then you have a built in uneven surface to deal with.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The last 4 or 5 heated floors I've done have been with Ditra Heat. Like Jim said, the wires snap down into the Ditra mat and aren't sticking up in the way. This is important. The net type doesn't lay flat on the floor. I use to use a lot of hot glue to get the net and wire down as flat as possible.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:56 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
As a novice, I installed the Schluter system over a 70 SF ish area (Laticrete has an almost identical system). It's about as easy as it gets. Perhaps there are some applications where one of the net type heat mats are useful or necessary but I can't envision any.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

The uncoupling mats are the way to go. Schluter has a good mat but, in my opinion, they have way too many ridiculous rules when it comes to spacing the wires that I won't use it.

What I use is the Suntouch Warm Wire and run it in Prodeso Heat mats which are surprisingly similar to Schluters . But Nuheat makes a wire too. Other heat mats that I've tried are Schluter's and Suntouch's which is relabeled from another manufacturer. All those mats are fine.

I haven't tried Ardex's Flexbone heat nor Laticrete's Strataheat but would have no hesitation using either. Honestly, I'm a bit curious about Ardex's system and would like to try it out.

I'd stay away from RPM pads as they have too many steps and there are no savings vs the uncoupling heat mats. Technology has passed them by, in my opinion.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase