Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #61
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Okay, try patching it, hopefully it works. Any loose stuff needs to be picked up before patching it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #62
Lucy_Dawg

Dave / CX, lets say yoiu were in my situation, and was going to try and salvage it. What woudl you do? I plan to get a dish scrubbing brush and remove all aggrigate that is loose. Then sweep it up, Throw it away. I am gong to have a few holes to patch, what woudl you use to patch? Im thinking either thinset, non mondified, or sandmix, and double the portland. That made a damn good slurry that I think would bond and hold.

Any trade secret you want to share Thanks!
Old 08-18-2019, 11:41 PM   #63
Lou_MA

Don't use a scrub brush. With moderate force you'd be able to wear away at even well-placed and well-packed deck mud.

Use a shop vac to get anything that's loose, whatever stays down is placed well enough. Then you can probably get away with using a modified thinset if it's just a few small areas 3/8" deep. Anything larger or deeper and I'd use a cement-based patching compound. Don't use sandmix for shallow areas, it won't hold long-term.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:33 AM   #64
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What Lou said. I would do the vac test. Usually if it holds up to the vac then it's strong enough to stay down. If the vac continues to pull it up, replace the mud.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 08-22-2019, 01:28 PM   #65
Lucy_Dawg

So I did the vac test, and it vac a little bit up, then got hard. I did have some gaps or holes in pan though, not all the way to liner, but some maybe 1/2 deep. I mixed up some thinset, and filled the gaps. Then sanded smooth and sloped. I put some water to it, and it drained well,. I clogged the top hole, and flooded, and it seemed to soak it through the thinset, hit the sand mix below and drain out weep holes. Probably took a little longer than expected because it didn't penetrate the thinset near as fast as the sand mix (almost instantly). Pan is sloped and solid now. Question is, I still have to thinset the pan, to stick river stones. Is there a point where there is just to thick of thinset to make it function correctly? As some spots will have over 1/2" thick thinset. Other spots will just be a slim coat.

I think what caused my problem is I packed and leveled the edge all the way around, and by the time I got to filling it, some of the edge was to dry to stick to? It appears everywhere some of the sand mix broke apart is where the pan filler meet the original pan packing edge. Since I am sloped and solid, can I stick rock floor to it? Is there a time window, where I can stick thinset to thinset? Is there a Max thickness I can have on thinset?
Old 08-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #66
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

We try to avoid deep holes and thinset over 1/4 inch but there are no rules. I don't think the few deep holes filled with thinset will hurt anything. I assume you're still using the same stones you show in post 58. I would spread a little thinset with the proper notched trowel and stick the stones down. Thinset will stick to thinset, just spread and set a small area at a time.

www.davystephenstile.com

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase