Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
mdmatt

is the header load bearing?

I am in mid demolition to take out my tub and extend shower in my second floor master bath, but I have run into a problem. the toilet in the master bath is in it's own little floor to ceiling stall. that had swining doors on it when we moved in. I have torn off the sheet rock and it appears the entrance has a header (2X6) and the corner is about 3 2X4 thick. How do i tell if this is load bearing. I don't think it is, but I really don't want to make that kind of mistake. i have ore pics if needed
thanks for the help!
Matt
Attached Images

Unread 03-17-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
bbcamp

I doubt it is load bearing. If it was, what's holding up the loads to the right of the wall?
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
mdmatt

Thanks Bob,
that's what i thought as well, but i was surprised there were so many 2X's at the corner and the 2x6 header. there isn't anyting above it except empty attic space.
thanks again
matt
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Matt,

What you have is a properly constructed door frame. What we normally see is a bunch of corners cut.

Is there anything in the space above this doorway?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #5
mdmatt

Paul, above this space is empty attic (best i can tell). the master has a vaulted ceiling so getting back to that far corner is not easy.
thanks
Unread 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #6
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

From here it looks like it isn't load bearing, just well built.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Matt,

From a generalist point of view, the best way to tell would be to poke your head into that attic and take a look. See whats on top of that area to tell if its supporting something important.

By your pic, it appears to be next to an exterior wall, and if so, its likely an unimportant source of support as the exterior wall and opposing walls would be primary for carrying the truss or other load above.

Remodeling can often fool you so it's important to take a look, at least to see which way the ceiling joists are running. If they are parallel to that header, you likely have a non-load bearing wall there.

If you can't get up there for a look, then the exterior roof soffit exposure could tell you the direction of the joists, or just as easy - use a stud finder to see which way they're running. Best not to guess. Just like in Vegas, the house has the advantage against you. Beat the odds and check for yourself. Good luck

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

I agree with most comments above, especially Kevin's here:

"Best not to guess. Just like in Vegas, the house has the advantage against you. Beat the odds and check for yourself."

You need to verify that it is in fact NOT load bearing. Either cut a hole in the ceiling, or look down from above.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Honeydo

another clue. what's underneath. They're not going to load up a barely adequate floor joist that deflects with a load bearing wall. While codes do deal with it differently, they require bearing partitions to consider the load path to foundation. If the header is parallel to your floor joists, the requirements will usually require a double or triple joist sufficiently sized to handle the load. (think, if a single joist was sized like your other regular floor joists, how much extra load could it really be handling) If perpendicular to floor joists most codes have a maximum offset from the load bearing support beneath no more than the depth of a joist or I’ve seen 18” used also, unless the joists are properly sized to carry the extra load. (could use the deflecto and if you’re not substantially above 450, there wouldn’t be any significant load o

If there is anything directly underneath that seems beefed up or is a direct support wall, I'd look a lot more. It does concern me a bit that they used 2x6s for the header, could of just been when they didn't care about lumber costs, but what's the point if it isn't holding up anything,

Last edited by Honeydo; 03-17-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Honeydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

So, this is on a second floor with attic above? Then it is not weight bearing, you then have a truss above the ceiling, not a joice.

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Matt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt, Post 3
there isn't anyting above it except empty attic space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul, Post 4
Is there anything in the space above this doorway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt, Post 5
Paul, above this space is empty attic (best i can tell).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin, Post 7
See whats on top of that area to tell if its supporting something important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana, Post 8
Either cut a hole in the ceiling, or look down from above.
Mmmm, I'm thinking he's already looked at what's above his header, guys.

Matt, we frequently use a built-up 2x6 header over non-bearing door openings simply to provide a good nailer for the casings and to help keep the wallboard from cracking so much at those corners, 'specially when tie-in plates are used (you don't have some).

While I don't see any such statement, I trust it is your intent to remove this framing, yes?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

You sure Chuck? I've seen plenty of houses built that don't use roof trusses. Joists and rafters for roof construction might not be too common in newer homes but I wouldn't count them out.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #13
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

I'll give one good reason to verify. There are others...

Maybe a ridge post or purlin post sits on top of that wall?? I certainly can't see how things are framed from here.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #14
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Sometimes stuff is hidden. If we only had a $1.00 for every time we said . . . "why did they do it that way?" before full demo.

If the builder is worth his salt we'll end up saying . . ."so that's why." But probably 75% of the time I just shake my head. (then I'll remove all the builders 15 year old 7-11 coffee and Big Gulp cups and do it right)

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #15
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

Usually the framing above the second floor walls are too small for flooring, usually 2x8 or 2x6 this is because they are not designed to carry a load, more on the line of to lock in the roof trusses and exterior walls, in order to keep them from pushing outward. No, they are not the same design as a preformed truss used today, but serve the same function, which is why when the attic space gets renovated the floor must be beefed up. Unless the attic space was designed to be used as a finished attic, that doesnt seem to be the case here as to the acsess of the attic is not a doorway with stairs.

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase