Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
heyjude

Tile an old concrete foundation??

We have a small house built in the 1940s on the Oregon Coast, the foundation is poured concrete (we had it ramjacked recently) The house has been a 'hobby/money pit' for the last 10 years as we have worked on it at weekends and now we are almost finished except for the ugly old concrete foundation. We would like to tile the foundation...weird I know, but the house is pretty quirky and I am a tilemaker/ designer so want to put something cool on it. I work primarily with earthenware which is porous...I imagine I should use a vitreous tile outside or something with very low absorption. Could you advise me?? The concrete gets wet in the winter, we will wait until the weather is dry before starting this project and know the concrete should be thoughroughly cleaned beforehand. Any suggestions? I like the slate at home depot and some of the other, larger size faux stone floor tiles available at Lowes etc.
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

You wanna use a tile or stone that will be stable with the weather you're likely to see there. HD slate wouldn't be my choice as many of them are compressed mud and start to deteriorate as soon as they get wet. A true porcelain would be a good choice, along with a good modified mortar over properly prepared concrete.

Post some photos of the foundation if you're unsure about it.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
heyjude

Would pressure washing take care of the cleaning bit? We have occasional frost in winter, mild temps mostly but lots of rain, I have had to scrub moss off the concrete foundation sometimes.
Thanks for replying so quickly...
Jude
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #4
heyjude

Modified mortar has an additive right?
Unread 03-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome back, Jude.

If you'll add a geographic location to your User Profile it'll help in answering some types of questions.

Modified thinset mortars have either a dry additive mixed in with the mortar, to which you add only water, or a separate liquid additive that can be mixed with the dry mortar in lieu of water.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase