Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Momdark

Marble installation Questions

Hello,
I recently had a leaking master shower torn out and a marble shower installed. I found the contractor after calling several that had good online reviews. He was only a couple of weeks out, so I got busy shopping and bought my tile.

The tear out went ok, but was more extensive as water had wicked into the walls and the shower pan was leaking. When all was completed and we tried to use the shower, the drain was completely plugged with tile and concrete debris, the fixtures did not sit flush with the wall, and the tile was wicking water. I have been sick about this.

It looks beautiful until it gets wet.

He said he did everything 100% and that he had been doing this all his life (I know...) and was dismissive with my questions. I have photos of the entire process so I have documentation. I contacted him when we first tested the shower and told him I was upset and unhappy and he needed to fix it. He then threatened to contact his lawyer because I was unhappy. (I'm not sure why as I did pay him.) He sent me several aggressive text messages and I decided to stop communicating and do some more research.

Anyway, after talking to several people to understand what the problem is, I found that he had not followed industry standards and didn't completely waterproof the hardibacker board.

He only installed Schluter membrane in the pan. Also, I am not sure he set the stone correctly as I can see where he put the thinset when the water is wicking into the stone. I have applied a sealer which has helped some but I am worried my home will be damaged if I leave it.

I have found information regarding the waterproofing, but can you point me to some information on proper marble installation practices? I feel embarrassed and that I have been taken.

Last edited by Tiger Mountain Tile Inc; 10-21-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: create paragraphs
Momdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

JC,

Welcome to the forum.

Natural stone turning colors is one of the most common complaints we hear on this forum. Marble sucking up water is part of the charm of the stone. No sealer or setting method will stop that from happening.

As far as the rest of the installation, got pics so we can examine the installation more closely?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #3
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Hi JC and welcome to the forum.

I hope you don't mind but I added some paragraphs to your post. It makes it easier to read and may help people engage in this post. I found myself getting about 3 sentences in and then zoning out.

Also, I noticed that it looks like you tried to add photos. Photos would be helpful and you can look at post 3 of this thread to help with the photo process. If you still are running into issues then please let us know and we can help.
Unread 10-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi JC. If you look above you'll see the dark blue bar, click on "liberry" and find the "shower construction info" thread. That would be a good place to start.

Marble is installed about the same as ceramic or porcelain tiles but stone in general is going to be harder to clean and care for than porcelain. Some stone will show different shades when wet, some won't. That's one of the first things I explain to a customer when they tell me they are looking at stone for their shower. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't.

Pics would help.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase