Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
sheellah

Darker grey grout staining marble...

I was thinking of using calacatta or carrara subway tile with a medium grey grout. I read a case on the net where someone used a deeper grey grout and even though the tile was sealed before grouting the grey grout stained the marble. They said everything was tried to remove the grey cast. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I'm in the process of choosing tile for the kitchen and bath and need to know if this is a solvable issue. Thank you!
Unread 10-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Sheelah,

If you seal first with a quality sealer such as Aqua Mix Sealers Choice Gold (let that cure fully) then grout with either Fusion Pro or Flexcolor CQ, there is zero chance the color can migrate from the grout to the tile.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, but on a shower floor, moisture might turn the marble a darker shade though. We see that complaint quite often.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Make sure that you use a white mortar to set the tile. Also, as noted, moisture, even from the mortar, can darken the tile until things dry out. Proper cleaning after grouting is important. The moisture from the thinset can take a few days to darken the tile, then could take a week or two to eventually dry out.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
JerseyDIYguy

I laid a basketweave mosaic carrera marble floor in my bathroom and used Delorian Gray Tec Power grout which is conventional/cementitious grout. I sealed the tile before grouting. There was some "picture framing" initially with a gray tinge around the edges of the tiles. The tinge faded away after a few days and I've had no issues since it was installed several years ago.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ritique&page=4

There's some close ups here:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...0&postcount=13
Unread 10-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

If you're concerned about grout bleeding you should probably know that there is a high likelihood of the marble getting dark in wet areas. Sometimes it dries out after every shower and sometimes it stays dark for a long period of time.

Why you should NOT buy a newly remodeled home ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

An enhancing sealer, once things dry out, could be used to essentially, make the tile look wet all of the time, if you like that effect. From my limited experience, there's very little difference between the look of a saturated wet tile and one treated with an enhancing sealer. For best effect, though, the tile can't be wet when treated. Some stone will change colors when wet, some won't.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 10-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
sheellah

Thanks to all who took the time to help. The tile will be used on a kitchen backsplash. Not really a wet area. Had no idea marble also darkened from moisture though. I think I would feel safer with a lighter grout. A different look, but just as pretty. Thinking of using basalt hex tile on the bathroom floor. Is there a wet issue with that too?

If marble is so porous I'm surprised they haven't been able to find a way to "marinate" the stone in some sort of permanent sealing concoction to get rid of all the negatives of using it. The look alikes are getting better but there's nothing that can match the beauty of the real deal!
Unread 10-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #9
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

While you can get an idea based on the type of stone, you can't be sure until you test the stone to see if it changes color. I have two different granite tiled jobs in my condo...one, is pretty impervious and does not change when wetted, the other gets darker when wetted quite a bit. On that one, in a shower, I decided to use an enhancing sealer to keep it darker which accented the color variations as well and made them pop more. It depends on what you want. If you can buy or borrow a sample, stick it in a pan full of water overnight, then compare it to a dry one. That's really the only way to tell whether and how much it will change by being wetted.

An enhancing sealer does penetrate, but only if the stone actually is somewhat porous. You can get an idea of whether it will work just by wiping it with a wet sponge, but the full effect may not be evident until it has been soaked for a bit.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase