Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
mwpfop

WHat is the professional opinion on mixing product lines?

Mike from Ohio Here;

I am doing a shower and trying to save a buck without compromising the durability of the install. My brainstorm was to use Denshield panels for the three walls with a schluter sloped base and the schluter preformed corners. I would also use the Schluter drain since it seems to be a key component of the system.
mwpfop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-22-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

If you do the schluter floor like that then you really need to do it on the walls too. It would get way too complicated trying to make it work like you are thinking.

Bryan

EX Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
David Taylor

You can use Denshield over the walls, provided you use KERDI-band over the seams and where you've made screw holes. That's a watertight installation.

The thing is... if you're going to that extent, you might as well use KERDI on the walls and save the money you'd pay for Denshield. You'd also get the full warranty from Schluter.

You can't use any other type of drain with the Schluter trays. They just won't fit.

www.tile-experts.com -- Get Schluter products, like DITRA and KERDI, plus live help!
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

I see no reason to over complicate things and no clear advantage to using Dense Shield...Just sheetrock the wall(plain white rock) And kerdi from drain to ceiling.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
David Taylor

Agreed.

They call it the Kerdi Shower System because it's precisely that.

www.tile-experts.com -- Get Schluter products, like DITRA and KERDI, plus live help!
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

David that's the best perspective...It is a system...I have really become a system fan...No matter what it is use all of the components as they were designed and intended. I did the opposite for so long and lost money and time trying to re-invent or improve something that was already there.

Unread 08-23-2007, 05:12 AM   #7
mwpfop

Thanks for the opinions

I am still waiting on a price from my supplier for the Denshield, research tells me that it will be about the same as CBU. My thought was that it would still be cheaper than kerdi covered sheetrock and just as waterproof. But I am open to spending the extra cash to buy the whole system.
Unread 08-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
daviddollar

I don't know about that

I've looked into Denshield too (and not just this sites history ). I have a slab so I got the PDF's from the GP website including the drawings. My wife was also thinking bucks so she left my cell with Denshield tech support.

I wasn't to crazy about a silicone seal around the base 1/8 off the deck (NOT allowing the board to make contact with the deck) and call that waterproof.

As it happens the tech faxed me some material and so it seems the installation method has changed a bit and the website has not been updated. Now you can ease the board down to the foundation (before you deck it; yep still have to silicone) but then theres this HYDRO coating you add over the entire finish . Anyone else hear that back-up-siren sound?

For the homework that I've done over the past several weeks Denshield + Hydro = Sheetrock + RedGuard = (some backing) + Kerdi.

I don't want to cringe every time I get in the shower, so I decided on Kerdi all the way thru.

But that still leaves the backerboard choice and from what I can tell CBU sucks water so you have to protect the inside walls; prob not with Kerdi tho, but it is stronger (and much heavier to work with). Densheild is lighter, doesn't need inside wall protection but if water ever gets in the gypsum will crumble and prob breed mold, prob not with Kerdi tho. And then there is plain sheetrock, but I'm not that cheap, ain't going to happen even with Kerdi.

Have Denshield fax you; here is the number 800.225.6119; Lets see what you find out. I'm going to be a while chipping up that liner-drain I installed; I'd like to see what you decide.

David D
daviddollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #9
daviddollar

And before...

Someone points it out (funny as yall are); I already thanked my wife.
Unread 08-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
mwpfop

Prefferred backer for Kerdi

Am I wrong, doesn't Schluter recommend plain sheetrock for the backer under kerdi?

Thanks for the info on the Hydro coating. I can't see any savings with denseshield if it requires some kind of liquid membrane.
Unread 08-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #11
daviddollar

I think there is a sample install here with Sheetrock

But I guess I'm thinking I'd have a more solid wall with cement board. I read you have to wet it to apply thin-set because it will dry too fast. Maybe sheetrock is the way to go. Prob fuses with the thin-set better than crete.

My shower is in the southwest corner of the house in this humid-equal-to-the-rain-forest area in north florida five miles from the gulf. I'll continue to review, I'm still abit leery about gypsum in a shower. This shower has always been hot and damp, I want it dry and cool.

David D
Unread 08-23-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Call me crazy but we now do at least 40% of our kerdi showers over plain white sheetrock. And I''l put my $$$ where mt mouth is on that....My own shower is kerdi over 5/8" sheetrock. I have hundreds of untold hours into it and wouldn't have done it if I didn't believe in it....In fact I wouldn't put anything in a customers home that I wouldn't put in my own.

Sheetrock and kerdi behind those walls
Attached Images

Unread 08-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Yep, yep, ol' Trask done used sheetrock in that little shower he's been showin' pichers of alla time, but we've seen it used in some high-end showers, too.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #14
Dave Hessel
Oregon Tile Man

I think there's been lots of us that have combined systems, and I have with total confidence that my work wouldn't fail. I'm assuming that we also knew we were on our own if they did.
Unread 08-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #15
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Problem is we ended up doing more work to make separate components from different systems actaully function, that we'd been better off using an entire system as it was intended....PLus you usually get some manufactures support if you have a faliure.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase