Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 08-15-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

so how are you all doing with the covid?

NZ just about economically crippled thanks to our inept government, supposedly closed borders leaking like a sieve, our biggest city being locked down rest of country on level 2
Unread 08-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jim,

We're a little slow at the economic level. No problem here, though. The government just prints more money.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

hi john, our government also has a $$$ printing press, we went 100 days without a new case then somehow there were 4, now 13, the border was supposed to be closed but people were still coming in now we find out they wernt even testing border staff
Unread 09-10-2020, 10:36 PM   #4
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Up here in NH we have very few cases/deaths/hospitalizations but the other states around us, especially Massachusetts are not doing as well.

Unfortunately for me, I work in the live entertainment business, running two theatres in NH, a 1,300 seater and a 400 seater. We closed down on March 13 and have lost net revenue of over a million dollars so far. We were allowed to reopen at the end of June with reduced capacity - 300 in the big theatre and 100 in the smaller place. Financially, it doesn't work with reduced capacity.

Luckily, we were able to hit up our donors and we received a good chunk of funding from a non-profit emergency relief fund set up by our State, using federal dollars of course. We cut two thirds of our staff so only 8 of us left.

I took a 25% pay cut from March through July. Back to regular pay for now but until we can get back to full capacity and get people to come inside for shows we'll be barely hanging on.

Personally - we are doing well. No one in our family is sick, we downsized to a smaller place a couple of years ago and our finances are good. If I wanted to retire I could but I'd rather work. Just can't wait to get a bit more back to normal.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2020, 06:20 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Good to hear from you, Joe.

I think most are in the same boat. Just hope someone comes up with a working vaccine and soon.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
Just In Tile LLC

Here in small town USA, I'm not as booked, but have been working for a lot of retired folks who seem to keep finding things for me to do. I suspect they understand the hard times, and are choosing to find projects for tradesmen. At least that's the vibe I've been getting. Was swamped a couple months ago.

Supplies in the stores are basically back to normal, except for the price hikes on certain items. Beef being a major one.

Going to the store it's still a political view of who believes what on masks, stores have the masks are required signs but no enforcing is happening which I think is good honestly. Doesn't bother me one bit to see no masks or masks. If you think they work great, if you think its BS great. We all just wanna move past this to some sort of normality.

I do feel construction is gonna slow down this winter, but from everyone I talk to about rel estate so many people are moving to the area right now we are having a huge boom. Not enough houses to go around. Even my in-laws in Cali sold their home well above a high asking price.

Interested to see what the future holds for construction tradesmen. Seems like a 50/50 we could keep the steam going, or it slow down.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase